#1 2010-10-04 17:31:50

jeanne

Sand trap on bike lane (Whitis & 30th) leads to injury

There is an unfortunate pile of sand in the bike lane at Whitis and 30th that has been there for quite some time. Unfortunately, while riding last night, I forgot about this sand and my bike slid sideways causing me to break my arm. I have learned that one of my friends slipped on it over a year ago, she dialed 311 to complain but nothing was done. I have also complained via 311.

Do we as cyclists have any legal rights to a clear and safe bike lane? Who is responsible for cleaning this up and why wasn't it done? It seems pretty easy and cheap to fix.

#2 2010-10-05 09:14:29

NadiaB

Re: Sand trap on bike lane (Whitis & 30th) leads to injury

I am not 100% sure about the legality issue, but I do know that 311 isn't perfect.  When you are done with your 311 call, the operator will give you a number.  Write it down.  If the problem has not been addressed in two weeks, call 311 again and use the number as a reference.  The operator will then be able to put you in direct contact with the person that is responsible for implementing the service request.  I know it seems like a pain.  But, there is a lot to the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."  We get that as cyclists, right?  Sometimes departments are seeing many requests a day.  However, I got one yesterday, e-mailed two folks and they were in the field immediately checking it out.  You just have to be persistent.  When you see a problem, report it immediately, and then follow up.  YOU are the eyes and ears out there.  The City depends on you.  I know that retroactive maintenance is a drag, but it is the best tool we have.  While we do have a regular street sweeping schedule, limited funds cannot get hundreds of sweepers out there all the time.

#3 2010-10-05 09:15:57

NadiaB

also...can you give me a call and let me know the exact location?  I need to know direction of travel, and corner.  I can also help you access your Service Request Number if you have lost it.  I am at 974-7142. 
Thanks,

nb

#4 2010-10-05 16:50:10

jeanne

Thank you Nadia. It was wonderful talking to you. Thank you for the work you and the city of Austin bicycle program people do.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.13 KiB (Peak: 532.75 KiB) ]