- Added Safe Routes to School to the sidebar
- Overhauled the city government page
- Lots of updates to the Bike Shops page.
- On the organizations page and sidebar, added Vision Zero ATX, and removed ACA since they merged with BIke Austin
- Added Bike Haus to the Bike Shops page.
- Added Austin B-cycle to the sidebar and the Bike Rentals page, and removed the peer-to-peer bike rental service called Liquid, since they went out of business.
- Overhauled the Organizations page.
- Added a new shop, Division One Bicycles, to the Bike Shops page.
- Added a new shop, Windmill Bicycles, to the Bike Shops page.
- Added Leslie Luciano to the Who's Who? page.
- Overhauled the Bike Shops page, including adding a spiffy map.
- Added local rides and websites to the left-hand sidebar on all pages.
- Updated the Austin a Top
10 Cycling City? a few times.
- Various upgrades for the web forum.
- Forgot to record most other changes here.
- Endorsed Chris Riley for City Council.
- Overhauled the site design, putting the menus at the top, and adding the most important resources and external sites to a sidebar on every page.
- City to consider allowing cars to park in bike lanes on Exposition.
- Added forum topics and events to the front page.
- Belatedly added Lance Armstrong's shop, Mellow Johnny's, to the Bike Shops page.
- Added a note about MN cops confiscating bikes of kids without helmets, to the justice page. Will they confiscate cars when drivers aren't buckled up?
- Updated "Who's usually at fault in car-bike collisions" on the No Justice page
- Added the 8/08 KEYE story which effectively blames cyclists for the increase in car-bike collisions, with zero supporting evidence
- Cyclist solves her own hit and run.
- Added a new cycling injury lawyer to What to do if you're hit or harassed.
- Started the Bicycle Austin web forum.
- Started the Bicycle Austin blog.
- Added a link to the 311 online form to the front page.
- Lubbock driver gets only probation for hit-and-run killing of cyclist
- Started the Bicycle Austin Blog
- Updated the Austin bike laws page
- Added a PDF of "tickets" to put on cars parked in bike lanes.
- Added Quick Links to the front page, updated govt. & city govt. pages
- Added historical info about the City's failure to spend bike project money properly
- Linked to the "No justice" article in the Austin Chronicle, from our No Justice section
- Our Open Letter to Dr. Crocker, who supports the helmet law
- Added The Peddler to the bike shops page
- Added a route from Austin to Elgin
- The Yellow Bike Project launches an Austin bike culture wiki
- Another drunk driver kills another cyclist
- Adult helmet law probably dead
- Law professor faces no penalty for intentionally hitting cyclist with her car
- Updated the City Council page
- Hit-and-run case in Garland, TX
- New helmet law being considered
- Added our endorsements for the May 2006 city council race
- Added details about cyclists being cheated out of bond money to the front page
- Driver who ran red light and hit two cyclists not ticketed.
- Created a new page about the ACA's advocacy on the Shoal Creek bike lanes issue
- Two April car-bike crashes, one fatal
- Teenagers throwing stuff at cyclists near Shoal Creek Blvd.
- Linked to a new route for IBM to downtown.
- Updated the list of bike shops
- Looks like the Lamar Bridge might actually get finished.
- Eric Anderson reports on cyclists' success in mitigating the redesign fiasco on the Riverside Drive project
- Info about how bike facilities weren't included in the Riverside Drive project
- Added a listing for the resurrected Bicycle Advocacy Council
- Added a bunch of updates about the Shoal Creek Blvd. mess
- Added the law about administrative suspension of driver's license for DWI offenses to the laws covering motorists page
- Linked to a route to Bastrop.
- Added a route to Pflugerville
- Added Georgetown Cyclopaths to the organizations page
- Added more to the never-ending Shoal Creek bike lanes debacle
- Added another North Austin route
- City Council election endorsements
- Exemplary police response to harassment of a motorist
- North Austin bike routes now has its own page. Plus added a couple of routes.
- Redesigned the site (got rid of frames, improved navigation, prettied up the header, made room for text ads). Nobody noticed.
- Added Patrick Goetz's encouragement for cyclists to be effective advocates by joining the Urban Transportation Commission.
- Added more to the never-ending Shoal Creek bike lanes debacle
- Added information about a failed statewide helmet bill in 2003.
- Redesigned the site, nobody noticed.
- Added locks our readers recommend
- Linked to an article about the safety of bike lanes and bike paths
- Linked to an article about possible improvements to the Shoal Creek trail below 5th St.
- Added a link to the City's page about finishing the Lamar Bike/Ped Bridge
- Added yet another hit & run
- Added the No Justice case of Kevin Snedden
- Added info on the possible extension to the Lamar Bike/Ped Bridge
- Added a route to Ben White and I-30
- Added account of hit & run on Michael Passman
- Added info about bike rides requiring a street event permit
- Added the case of Matthew Rodieck (sp?) to the cars-bikes collisions section
- Costs of car ownership updated
- Fall newsletters posted
- Added a map to San Marcos and an alternative to Adventure Cycling's spur into Austin on their cross-country route.
- Added another bicycle collision attorney to What to Do if You're Hit or Harassed.
- Added an article on How to Rewire Christmas Lights to Run on Batteries, on a related site.
- Added a Guide to Touring.
- Linked to Mike Dahmus' study on bike lanes vs. wide outside curb lanes
- Linked to the BicyclingLife cycling survey
- Added a new documentary, Red Light Go, to the movies section
- Added a route for getting down the big mountain on 2222
- Added fuel economy stats to the Almanac.
- Summer newsletters posted
- Added more of Roger Baker's editorials on roadway planning politics
- Added a section about trying to resolve the idea about bike lanes on Guadalupe & Lavaca.
- Added the May newsletter.
- Added a page explaining why natural gas buses may be no better than diesel buses
- Added an online store that sells electric scooters.
- Put our section on bike lanes on its own page..
- Added excerpt of the federal law requiring consideration of bicyclists' needs when doing roadway projects, to the Planning page.
- Added a national used bike classifieds website to the used bikes page.
- Added an update about planning of the Lance Armstrong Bikeway.
- Noted a possible origin for the song "Cycling is Fun".
- Added the agenda for the April UTC-Bike Subcommittee meeting.
- Added the April newsletter
January & February 2003
- Added the minutes of the January UTC-Bike Subcommittee meeting. [I'll add minutes & agendas regularly as I get them, and won't continue to note that in this Updates section.]
- Added a link to chopper bikes on our bikes page.
- More on how we failed to get car-free bike lanes on Shoal Creek Blvd.
- Consolidated and updated information about ideal bicycle facilities.
- Posted the December 24 newsletter.
- A reader contributes an article about triggering traffic signals.
- Added some posts about why we can't get sidewalks or bike lanes.
- Added updates about the Town Lake Master Plan/Town Lake Park.
- Added updates about the failure to ban cars from bike lanes on Shoal Creek Blvd.
- Posted the December 14 newsletter.
- Added a lengthy article detailing the roots of the lack of justice for cyclists in car-bike collisions
- Sadly, we report about Keith Vick's fatal collision.
- Added details about TXDoT's 25-year transportation plan.
- Allan contributes a North Austin route from Avery Island to Duval/Mopac.
- Added Eric Anderson's status report of roadway projects.
- Tommy Eden explains what part of federal funds MUST be spent on bike & ped facilities
- Added another manufacturer of electric bikes
- Added an attorney who handles car-bike collision cases
- Bike lanes gone on Bull Creek.
- Linked to America Bikes on the elections page, so you can see how your elected officials voted on bicycling-related issues
- Added more news about the Shoal Creek bike lane mess
- Started adding used bike inventory at Waterloo Cycles
- Added a manufacturer of trikes and one of row-bikes to the bikes page
- Added some info about downtown transportation planning
- Added more about the Shoal Creek bike lanes saga
- Added the minutes of the September meeting of the UTC Bike Subcommittee.
- Added link to AmericaBikes, which surveys candidates for federal office about whether they think the federal govt. should support cycling.
- Added a guide to How to Buy a Used Bike.
- Added a route to Bastrop.
- Updated the Monorail vs. Light Rail page.
- Added Roger Baker's latest expose about CAMPO's road-building craze.
- Added yet another hit-and-run fatality.
- Started posting agendas for the UTC Bike Subcommittee.
- Revised phone numbers for calling in traffic & roadway problems.
- Added the case about a Houston motorist who intentionally hit a 10-year-old cyclist.
- Added a tandem recumbent.
- Added info about the council's action to require bike & pedestrian facilities in road reconstruction projects.
- Added stats to the Almanac page showing that most NYC residents don't own cars.
- Gave a major facelift to the whole damn site.
- Added the Spring calendar for Bike-In Theatre.
- Added a downloadable flier about cyclists' rights to the road.
- Added a listing for the new documentary Bike Like U Mean It.
- Linked to some more unusual tall/high bike photos on the Bikes page.
- Added a page and video about the 9-28-01 Critical Mass controversy.
- Added the October newsletter, about the 9-28-01 Critical Mass controversy.
- Added the Brykerwoods Neighborhood Associations' scathing indictment of Mopac.
- Added a link to FunkyBikes.com.
- Added the Travis County Commissioners to the Government page.
- Added more stats to the Bike Safety Almanac.
- Added more voter resources to the Elections section.
- Added the ebike electric bike and a miniature bike to the Bikes page.
- Added Roger Baker's article: How CAMPO stacks the deck
- Added Houston's Moonlight Ramble ride.
- Added a new anti-car band, The Depavers, to the Music page.
- Added Austin Bike-In Theatre.
- Linked to some comfy cruiser-style handlebars.
- Overhauled the Contact Your Elected Officials page.
- Overhauled the Get Involved page.
- Added a review of Montague folding bikes.
- Added new products to the Recalls page.
- Added the new police non-emergency number: 311.
- Added the Annual Moonlight Cruise to the Rides page.
- Updated the bike laws page to include the new bike safety provisions.
- Added tips for riding in cold weather.
- Added the September newsletters.
- Added the average speed of cars within the city (25mph) to the Almanac page.
- Linked to an article about triggering traffic lights to change.
- Added an article, "Why adding [traffic] lanes makes traffic worse".
- Noted that Waterloo Cycles offers a 5% discount on parts, labor, and accessories to subscribers to the email discussion list.
- Added a new page on monorails.
- Linked to a new site, AustinBikeRoutes.com, from the Routes section.
- Added some stats about bicycle crashes to the bike safety almanac.
- Added an expert witness to the What to Do If You're Hit page.
- Cycling is 117% more efficient than walking. (calculation)
- Added an Austin to San Antonio route.
- Added Lance Armstrong's quote about how cycling in Austin has been ruined by growth.
- Added a front-page story about how citizens killed a proposed parking garage at MLK & West.
- Added two more harassment stories, including one about motorists throwing things at cyclists.
- Added an editorial by Patrick Goetz about sprawl-induced road rage.
- Added a quote by Patrick Goetz: "It seems that the best way to avoid getting a ticket when running a red light in your car is to kill a cyclist while you're doing it."
- Linked to the site that has tickets to put on SUV's.
- Added a New York Times article showing that helmets have not helped prevent head injuries, and that in fact head injuries are going UP with increased helmet use.
- Added a new page about how bicycling wastes gas, if the cyclist gets his/her calories from beef.
- Added Roger Baker's editorial about how road-building is unsustainable.
- Added two bands to the Music page: Hate Traffic and Hit By A Car.
- Added a guide to Preventing and Fixing Flat Tires.
- Added Eric Anderson's latest opus about the Lance Armstrong Bikeway and the state of local facilities improvements
- Linked to the advocacy video, Bike Routes: The Path to a Better Tomorrow.
- Added info about Huffy and Schwinn.
- Overhauled the Bike & Equipment Recalls page.
- Added an article about how Driving With Cell Phone is just as dangerous as DWI!
- Linked to Mike Librik's excellent Bike Map of Austin.
- Updated the Planning section.
- Updated the Trailers section.
- Added a bunch of stats to the Almanac page.
- Added a link to Homeright's folding bike.
- Added a link to GasPriceWatch.com, and references to fuel economy for specific model cars.
- Added links to Austin Neighborhood Associations.
- Added info on the Upper Boggy Creek Bikeway, and updated lots of other stuff in the Roadway Improvements section.
- Updated the Lamar Bridge section.
- Added the case of Debra Prokop being killed and Judy Monarch being hit & run'd to the No Justice section.
- Added discussion about the planning of the Lance Armstrong Bikeway.
- Linked to the article 50 Reasons Cars Are Bad.
- Added reader opinions about blasting down 2222.
- Added a link to a calculator that tells you how much pollution is caused by your specific household electricity use.
- Linked to a new mountain biking club, Church of the Knobby Tire.
- Linked to Austin Metro Trails & Greenways
- Linked to Austin Bike Cabs.
- Updated the Repairs/Bike Shops section.
- Added links to sites which will help you fix your own bike.
- Updated the links to other sites [subsequently removed that page and integrated links into other pages]
- Added a new bike movie.
- Added info on the email list for planning Bike to Work Day.
- Added River City Cycles, a shop with a focus on women's cycling.
- Added a search engine. Whoo-hoo! (see the top of every page)
- Added another UTC Bike Subcommittee website.
- Added the case of the motorist who hit & run'd Ed Anderson.
- Overhauled the No Justice for Cyclists section (again).
- Added a more user-friendly list of Back Issues of the newsletter.
- Added some more quotes.
- Added some links to sites covering helmet laws.
- Added Roger Baker's outline of the Feb. 2001 CAMPO meeting.
- Added the Texas Association for Public Transportation to the Organizations page.
- Added more stats to the almanac.
- Made lots of small miscellaneous updates all over the site.
- Added the fatality of cyclist Edward Day.
- Added a cartoon of a car flattening the planet.
- Overhauled the No Justice for Cyclists page. Also added details about the police declining to charge the motorist who hit & run'd me.
- Moved all the statistics about bicycle safety/crashes to a new page, and added a whole bunch more stats.
- Noted that the motorist who killed cyclist Conrad Anderson in Tomball, TX pled guilty to intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault and got five years in prison.
- Added some more cases of local injuries/fatalities. Dr. Gardiner's death is covered elsewhere, here.
- Added several stats to our Almanac.
- Added our election endorsements.
- Added a link to a site about a guy who puts bumper stickers on SUV's that say "I'm changing the climate!". (In our Bad Cars section.)
- Added a new book, Ecologically Based Municipal Land Use Planning.
- Added route help to get to Manchaca & 1626
- Added a spam advertisement that puports to allow bad motorists to drive again by obtaining an International Drivers License.
- Added a link to the TNRCC website where you can report smoky vehicles by typing in their license plate numbers.
- Added an article about stores that won't let cylists bring their backpacks inside (since removed)
- Added a listing and link for Austin Choices for Transportation, a new advocacy group
- Added "Why you should vote for light rail"
- Added a link to a site that lets you check whether you're registered to vote
- Added What to do if you're hit or harassed.
- Added an item about UT banning bikes on Speedway.
- Added the bicycle winners from the Chronicle's "Best of Austin" edition, in the 9-30-00 newsletter.
- Added a recall notices for Trek handlebar stems and Minoura wind trainers
- Added a link to BikeLane.com.
- Updated the link to the Alliance for a Paving Moratorium.
- Added a link to a site with a map of hike & bike trails.
- Added taxicab rates.
- Added another story about harassment by motorists.
- Updated the No Justice for Cyclists section.
- Linked to PBS' website on New Urbanism.
- Added stats for the fuel efficiency of large airplanes. (It's about 50 mpg per passenger.)
- Added an article about cars running red lights.
- Added a section on electric-assist bikes.
- Moved the entire site to BicycleAustin.info.
- Added an update about the Shoal Creek bike lane parking ban.
- Added a critique about the Statesman's handling of the Shoal Creek bike lane parknig ban.
- Overhauled the links page. [In Feb. 2013, I moved all links from that page into relevant pages.]
- Added Divorce Your Car! to the Books page.
- Added a search engine for back issues of the newsletter.
- Added the proposed trail to connect the Town Lake Bridge with the Ullrich Bridge
- Added notable actions by individual city councilmembers
- Added a page about pro-car and anti-bike groups.
- Added an update to the Justice section on the case against the driver who killed Conrad Anderson.
- Linked to Bill Canfield's Shoal Creek parking ban site from the Roadways page.
- Added a link to the Mean Streets 2000 report on pedestrian issues.
- Started an Almanac section for various statistics
- Added a section for fan mail about the newsletter
- Added a bunch of articles to our Light Rail section.
- Mayor Watson proposes a new funding plan for transportation projects
- Added a link to the EPA's fuel economy website (for cars)
- Added a page about bicycle movies
- Updated our contact info for the City Council to reflect the new members
- Added a report about the proposed State Highway 130.
- Added a page on bicycle posters.
- Added a page on light rail.
- Added an article about air pollution causing sudden death.
- Added No Justice cases outside of Austin to the No Justice section.
- Added the rules for the discussion list to the front page and to the News sections.
- Added routes from Dripping Springs to Austin
- Added today's newsletter, with an interview with the candidates in the City Council Place 2 runoff.
- Added a modification to a North->South route which allows cyclists to avoid the intersection at Anderson & Shoal Creek.
- Added a lengthy report about current and planned roadway improvements which the City of Austin's Bicycle Program is working on
- Added Trans Texas Alliance to the Organizations page
- Updated our links to other sites
- Added an airport route tip and a Table of Contents to the Routes page
- Created a new page on Pollution & Global Warming
- Added a page with criticism about cars
- Added two new books to the Books page
- Added suggested improvement to the Far West/Mopac bridge and to sidewalks, on the Roadways page, and to the Sidewalks page
- Added info on proposed legislation in California which would require planners to consider bicycle access in the planning process (New Legislation page)
- Added the band "bicycle" to the Music page
- Linked to the City's Smart Growth section on the Planning page
- Created a new, massive page about the Austin City Council
- Updated the Elections page
- Added problems with reckless-driving cops to the police page
- Added the Bike to Work Day events to the Rides page
- Added a report about cyclists assaulted in Grand Prairie
- Added the Austin Coalition of Cyclists to the Organizations page
- Added a page about lead in gasoline
- Added a page about Bicycle Theft (prevention & recovery)
- Added the Why Cycle? page, comparing cycling to driving
- Added a paper about pollution and energy use caused by cars
- Added a page about transportation activist Roger Baker
- Started a page devoted to books about transportation planning.
- Added the death of Michael Z. Smith to the No Justice for Cyclists section.
- Added a wish-list for how we'd like the media to report on car/bike collisions, to the Media Criticism page.
- Reflected that Michael Zakes has left the UTC and that Mike Dahmus has joined it, on these pages: City Government, Organizations, and Who's Who.
- Added Eric Anderson to the Who's Who page.
- Added a route to the Westgate Cinema/Central Market to the Routes page.
- Added information on the 2/22 University Area Partners meeting.
- Added a link to the website for the annual Bike Summer event.
- Added an update about Jay Williams' hit-and-run case.
- Updated the Bike Month page to reflect that the City of Austin will no longer be organizing the event.
- Added the 1-30 newsletter, as well as old 3-3-99 I had lost but just found.
- Added a new page on Problems with the Police.
- Added the naughty bike ad.
- Added the Netherlands bike commuting tube/tunnel to the World News section
- Put a link on the Helmet Laws page to the article about the 9-year-old Florida boy who was handcuffed for not wearing a helmet.
- Added information about Austin's ranking as a Top 10 Bicycle City in Bicycling magazine.
- Added a page about Fuel Cells. (Later removed, but you can check out our page on Bicycle Quotes.
- Added a list of links appearing in the bicycle newsletter.
- Added two new ways to How to Not Get Hit By Cars.
- Added new section on Roadway Improvements.
- Started a new section for links to governmental bike programs in other cities & states.
- Indicated that funding has been approved for the Crosstown Bicycle Highway.
- Updated the Calendar and Rides/Events pages. (Update: We no longer maintain a calendar.)
- Added an update to Jay Williams' hit-and-run case.
- Removed an old ad for a used bike and added a new ad.
- Added some of Dave Sullivan's accomplishments to the Who's Who page.
- Corrected the date for the Ruta Maya rides.
- Added the 1-23 newsletter.
- Added more content to the Media Mess page.
- Linked to problems with rumble strips, and referenced it from the Ideas for Making Cycling Safer and Contact Your Elected Officials pages.
- Added Getting Around the Arboretum to the Routes page.
- Added the UTC Bicycle Subcommittee to the Current Projects page (later removed).
- Added a note about the Statesman's coverage of S.H. 130 to the Media Mess page.
- Changed email links to the webmaster in several places to provide compatability for AOL users.
- Fixed a bunch of little things all over the site (anchors, links, spelling).
- Created this Site Updates page.
- Overhauled the Alphabetical Index.
- Added Jay Williams to the No Justice and No Justice/Details pages.
- Added Ruta Maya rides to the Calendar and Rides pages.
- Added the Valentine's Bike Parade to the Calendar and Rides pages.
- Updated meeting schedule for the Bicycle Advisory Council.
- Reflected that the location of the City Council chambers is moving, on the City Government and Calendar pages.
- Created new page covering Elections.
- Added the 1-16 newsletter to the newsletter archives.
- Set up the newsletter archives to list in reverse-chronological order.
- Overhauled the Political/Technical Info page.
- Added Car Busters to the Links to Other Sites page (that page subsequently removed and the links were integrated into other pages).
Prior to 1-00
- This website started in 1995, but we didn't keep track of updates before then.