#1 2009-02-09 18:51:19

redaunt

Commuting Slaughter/Manchaca area

I am interested in commuting to work by bike, but it's 11 miles one way and I have to be at work at 8.  This would put me riding in the dark on Manchaca road.  I was hoping someone here might be riding this route around 6:30-7 AM?  If we stick together, there should be increased visibility.  More reflective gear, more lights with 2 or 3 riders versus 1.  If you ride north on Manchaca early in the mornings, please let me know.  Thanks!

#2 2009-02-10 14:41:57

plarson

Re: Commuting Slaughter/Manchaca area

Hi. Personally I would never ride on Manchaca road. Is there a way to ride in the neighborhoods around that area? If not, I suppose Manchaca has some pretty wide lanes along the south end. But once you are up by Stassney, it's pretty dangerous in the dark. I used to ride from 290/mopac area to downtown, and I have a good route if you want that route.

Since you are near Slaughter, I think it's pretty wide from there until about William Cannon. From there, you can find some side neighborhoods parts of the way. Where are you headed?

#3 2009-02-12 07:58:05

redaunt

Headed to AMD at the corner of Oltorf and Montopolis.  Usually I go North on Manchaca to Matthews (just south of Wm Cannon), then it's neighborhood streets (Woodhue, Emerald Forest) to Western Trails.  I catch the bus there for the rest of the trip.  Would love to figure out a way to ride the entire way, but crossing Ben White and I-35 is a little scary.....

#4 2009-02-12 18:17:42

Adriel

I have gone this way before and it is fairly peaceful.  You cross 35 at slaughter and avoid ben white completely.

after looking at the map it looks like a shortcut through smith school rd would shorten the trip but I have never tried that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= … 8&t=h&z=15

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.41 KiB (Peak: 532.03 KiB) ]