#1 2021-08-02 14:39:36

Darron

Long Tail Utility eBikes?

Anyone currently have or has had a long tail utility ebike?  If so what make/model and any pros/cons/tips?

I'm thinking of getting one for commuting, shopping, and elementary school runs (all less than 2miles).

#2 2021-08-02 16:16:14

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Long Tail Utility eBikes?

I've got a basic non-suspension mountain bike, set up as your typical commuter with fat road tires and an XtraCycle FreeRadical kit on the back.

It looks sort of like the one in this photo.

It's OK.  I don't ride it any more, as I recumbents now, so some day I need to sell it ...

It was definitely good for carrying big things, and I could carry an extra person back there too.  (And I added a second handlebar back there for them to hold on to.)

If I had it to do again, I'd skip the kit and just get something with a long frame to start with as it would just keep things simpler, more solid.

That said, for shopping on my bike, I found that simply pulling one of those two kid trailers with an ordinary bike worked *great*.  They have lots of storage, can be removed easily, and cars will see that trailer and give you ten or twenty feet of space rather than two :)

#3 2021-08-03 09:45:40

Darron

Thanks Doug,

Yep, I've used a trailer for shopping previously too and agree it works a treat.  Right now I'm leaning towards Pedego or RadPower long tail bikes.

#4 2022-10-13 10:30:46

Darron

Just to close out he discussion.  I ended up get a Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4 and love it.  I've been riding it for almost a year and have about 1000 miles on it.  It works great for taking kids to/from school (faster than a car since I don't have to wait in a long line of cars).  I put a big front rack on it for extra carrying capacity for backpacks, groceries, take out food, swimming pool tote bag, etc.

#5 2022-10-13 19:54:52

dougmc
Administrator

I just ordered a basic e-bike from Radpower for my wife -- I should have it in a week or so.

She's kind of excited -- she wants to ride, but she's out of shape, and the electric would let her keep up with me and work as little or as much as she wants.  No cargo, but ... should be fun!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.76 KiB (Peak: 533.38 KiB) ]