#1 2021-06-22 15:48:11

chavela

"bike registration that works"?

This was posted on Nextdoor:
"Hello Austin, I have an import message for all you bike owners. I'm the bike Ambassador for www.bikeindex.org. Every year I post a message asking bike owners to please register your bike so if it gets stolen, I can work to get it back to you. Every year bikes get stolen and the owners never registered the bikes.

I cannot help you get your bike back if you don't register it. Its free to register so you have absolutely no excuse not to register it. If you are just too lazy, PM me and I will register it for you. If you are handicapped, PM me and I will register it for you. If you can't figure out where the ID numbers are, PM me and I will walk you through it.  In the mean time, can you please click the  logo below so you can learn more at  BikeIndex.org and, while your on the site, can you please register your bike.

Safe Riding Everyone- have a great summer

Pom Normandy"

The webpage is nice, looks legit, but I don't understand the business model.  Has anyone used this, or (even better) recovered a stolen bike with their help?

#2 2021-06-22 16:47:43

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: "bike registration that works"?

Business model?  The website says it's a 501(c)3 non-profit.

#3 2021-06-22 17:08:46

chavela

Sure, non-profit, but where do they get their funding--grants, donations?  There's a donations page on the website, but pretty low-key.  Seems like a lot of people involved; is this just 100% altruistic? That web site is pretty darn professional, has some decent features/functions that would cost $$$ to develop.  I am not intending to be cynical or suspicious, just wondering.

#4 2021-06-23 08:46:20

Darron

I just watched a video on this very subject: There's a proven way to stop bike theft. So why are so few cities doing it?

It's kind of long but the summary is bike theft is difficult to police and when stolen bikes are recovered it is difficult to find the owners.  Vancouver introduced a bike registry database combined with lots of other community programs and it worked to reduce theft.

https://project529.com/garage

#5 2021-06-23 08:51:42

Darron

I found this link comparing the Bike Index vs 529 Garage (although it seems a bit biased):
https://bicyclesecurityadvisors.com/pro … your-bike/

#6 2021-06-23 16:42:44

chavela

Hmm, so it is a real thing, no hidden gotchas.  That's great; many of us have suffered from losing a bike, and this sounds like an effective way to fight back.

#7 2021-07-11 12:17:32

RedFalcon

APD has a bike registration system. You can add images, serial number, and a description.  I have no idea if it has ever helped anyone get their stolen bike back.  Even if you don't use one of these online registrations, its a good idea to go through your stuff and take images of tools, equipment, bikes, guns, electronics, etc. Record any serial numbers. I also took pictures of the rooms in my place, just so I could use for insurance purposes if I ever needed to.

#8 2021-07-19 14:31:20

dougmc
Administrator

RedFalcon wrote:

I have no idea if it has ever helped anyone get their stolen bike back.

It probably has.

I mean, APD doesn't put a whole lot of effort into solving property crimes, but stolen property often falls in their collective lap, and they'll take the serial numbers they have and run them against those in police reports, their own registration database, etc.  If they don't find anything, they may just return the property to the thief, or throw it into their auction or whatever they do with lost property.

And so if your stuff is stolen, absolutely do file a police report.  And serial numbers are absolutely essential -- they are the key that the police will use to identify your bike, often the only key.

its a good idea to go through your stuff and take images of tools, equipment, bikes, guns, electronics, etc. Record any serial numbers. I also took pictures of the rooms in my place, just so I could use for insurance purposes if I ever needed to.

The usual advice was to buy or borrow a video camera and go through your house and record every valuable item with it and the contents of every room in general, catching serial numbers when practical, and then put the tape somewhere safe (like a safe deposit box.)

And it's still great advice, but of course, now it's a lot easier as your phone can do that, and just save the file somewhere in the cloud.  (And when it comes to dealing with insurance adjusters, this advice is fantastic.)

But regarding bikes, keeping your serial number is key if it is ever stolen.  If you bought the bike new, the bike shop might be able to look it up for you, but ... just keep it yourself.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 544.96 KiB (Peak: 545.59 KiB) ]