#1 2020-12-17 13:52:47

dougmc
Administrator

Bicycle Sport Shop selling to Trek

To our friends in the Austin cycling community,

Since taking the reins at Bicycle Sport Shop 35 years ago, we've been fortunate to find success serving Austin’s cycling community by sharing our passion for riding, putting our customers first, and creating a welcoming environment for everyone who visits our stores. But all good things must come to an end, including the very best rides, and the time has come for us to explore different paths in our life adventure.

We have decided to sell Bicycle Sport Shop to Trek Bicycle, as we consider them a partner who shares our values and passion and would be the best future caretakers of our cycling community. Since our partnership began in 1988, Trek has proven to be composed of people as dedicated to helping others discover the joy of cycling as we are, and we share their commitment to the bicycle as a tool for enhancing people’s lives. We are confident Trek will take what we've created and continue to build upon it—serving and supporting our community in even bigger and better ways while remaining dedicated to our core values of treating people like family and delivering outstanding hospitality.

There will of course be some changes, but the shop’s commitment to Austin’s cycling community will be as strong and steadfast as ever in supporting your cycling journey. Our same great team of friendly, knowledgeable bicycle experts is looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit and showing you all of the new and exciting things in store!

The past 35 years have been incredible, and we owe that to each and every one of you! Bicycle Sport Shop wouldn’t be what it is without your support, and we thank you for helping to make it such a special part of Austin.

It’s time to ride!

Hill and Laura

I'm not sure what to think about this, but ... BSS (with its several large locations) is definitely the most dominant player in Austin bike shops, so it's a big deal.

#2 2020-12-18 23:59:12

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Bicycle Sport Shop selling to Trek

It's not a stretch to say that Trek will not be as active in local bike advocacy as Hill has been.

#3 2020-12-21 16:24:03

Jack

Thanks for the post.  It reminded me to look into what I'd seen while riding by what used to be Waterloo Cycles.  What happened?

The website [ https://waterloocycles.com/ ] has this notice "We’re now doing mobile repair work. Most repairs done on the spot, major repairs have a 3 day turnaround. Call or text 512.472.9253 for a price quote and availability. we accept Venmo, Paypal, credit cards and cash" and also

Lost our lease and the shop on Fruth is closed.
Phone: (512) 47-CYCLE! (472-9253) | Email us
Hours: Service Hours:by appointment

(the site displays also an inventory reduction sale)

Ages ago I was a big fan of an Austin mobile bike repair business, a repair shop in a trailer, so I wish this venture the best of luck.  Very convenient for so many customers to have the repair shop drop by.

Too bad for Waterloo -- otherwise, the pandemic has been pretty good for bike shop businesses.  Sad to see that shop out of the picture.  But I may end up being glad to have him come by my place to work on my road bike he worked on back in like 2000 during an organized ride (lent me another wheel when I broke a spoke during an organized ride and had it ready to go by the time I finished the course) and again to prep it to rent out for a Ride for the Roses event some years later.  He knows his stuff and Waterloo I always recommended for those looking for good used bikes and good service.

Last edited by Jack (2020-12-21 16:30:11)

#4 2020-12-21 19:31:08

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

The first bike I bought in Austin was at Target in 1987 or 88, for $72.72.  I think that bike got stolen, and the next bike I bought was from Waterloo, in 1989 or 90.

The "lost our lease" notice has been on the site since Sept. 2019, well before the pandemic.

#5 2020-12-27 17:59:57

Jack

Noticed a more general article that specifically mentions BSS's sale to Trek
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail- … -exit-ramp

#6 2021-03-08 19:14:52

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Tried to visit Clown Dog Bikes today, but a sign said they're closed for a few days because a roommate tested positive for coronavirus.

So tried to visit Trek at the old Bicycle Sport Shop location and 3202 Guadalupe, but the store was empty, no signage.  Have they just not converted from BSS to the new Trek shop yet, or did Trek decide not to operate that location?  FWIW, Trek's website does list that location as one of its current shops.

BTW, I then went to Cycle Progression.  In the old days bike shops would try to give me discounts based on who I was, maybe either hoping for a mention on my website or else maybe just to thank me for the cycling advocacy I used to do.  (I always declined and insisted on paying the normal price.)  But now when I give my name for the the service ticket they don't even know who I am.

#7 2021-03-08 20:04:04

trentsky

I was chatting with an employee at the Trek shop on Research a few days ago, who told me Trek was keeping the Guadalupe service-only shop open and that it was going to be something of a new experience/experiment for them.

#8 2021-03-08 21:10:49

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Thanks, trentsky.  But "keeping" it open?  It appeared to be closed/empty.

#9 2021-03-09 11:27:23

JasonATXBS

MichaelBluejay wrote:

In the old days bike shops would try to give me discounts based on who I was, maybe either hoping for a mention on my website or else maybe just to thank me for the cycling advocacy I used to do.  (I always declined and insisted on paying the normal price.)  But now when I give my name for the the service ticket they don't even know who I am.

I still occasionally manage to get the bike shop hookup around town and I haven't run my blog in nearly a decade. I think 2012 was the last time I was actively posting, but I have a memorable face so I'll give 'em that. It's been even more fun in our masked era, trying to identify bike folks by the smile in their eyes.

#10 2021-03-14 23:48:19

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Dave W. sent me this:  "BSS closed the Guad shop, former Ozone, long before the sale to Trek. That location has been closed, empty for some time now."

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 553 KiB (Peak: 569.02 KiB) ]