#1 2008-10-31 13:58:53

tomwald

Kelso learns that bicycles aren't accepted at drive-thrus

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ … outta.html

No bikes at the bank? Get outta town

By John Kelso [Austin American-Statesman] | Friday, October 31, 2008, 12:59 PM

You'd think that in this horrible economy that Wachovia Bank would be glad to see anybody who's actually got money show up, regardless of what they show up riding on. I mean, you'd think in these troubled times they'd be glad to see a customer ride up on a sheep, for gosh sakes.

Bicyclist and writer Jimmy Apfelbaum of South Austin is thinking about switching banks.

He figures if his bike isn't good enough for Wachovia, Wachovia isn't good enough for him. I mean, here we are in the land of Lance, and Jimmy says he gets turned away from the drive-up because he's pedaling.

"I called a couple of other banks and asked if I can use their drive-through on a bicycle and they said that would be fine," Jimmy said.

On Wednesday mid-morning Jimmy says he pedaled up to the drive-up window of the Wachovia branch bank on South Congress right next to Richard Jones Pit Bar-B-Que on a bicycle — just as he had done a couple dozen times before.

"I was just trying to get $30 to get a haircut and go to my yoga class at Ruta Maya," Jimmy said. He also needed $2.25 for a cookie. He said he sat in line on his bike at the bank behind a car for about five minutes, "breathing the (exhaust) fumes." "Finally I got up to the teller and she said she wasn't able to complete my transaction," Jimmy said.

Jimmy says he asked people at the bank why this was going on and that he was told it was a safety issue. "It's always nice when multi-national corporations are looking out for your safety. That's when you know chills go up the spine," Jimmy said. "I was so miffed about it. I thought it was so strange."

I called Wachovia and asked if they have a no-bikes policy at their drive-throughs. I have yet to hear back.

Meanwhile, chill out, Jimmy. Maybe Wachovia is just trying to watch ova yah.

If you're a golfer and you recognize Jimmy's name, it's because he's the guy who hosts the "That's Golf" radio show from 8 to 9 a.m. Saturdays on 1300 The Zone. He's written six books about golf, and he says was hired by the Texas Department of Banking to write their centennial history.

Maybe he can write a chapter about being gooned at the bank on a bike.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 527.69 KiB (Peak: 537.16 KiB) ]