#1 2008-10-30 21:33:30

tomwald

Speedway Dismount Zone now a "shared pathway"

The Speedway Dismount Zone that existed between 21st and 24th Sts. on the UT campus is no longer.

A few weeks ago, Sam Cortez of UT PTS managed to convince (after many attempts) his higher-ups and the campus planning elites that the dismount zone should be a pedestrian-bicycle "shared pathway".  The dismount zone was created several years ago and eventually became an 8-5 M-F dismount zone where bicyclists were required under the threat of fine (yes, bicyclists were ticketed) to get off and walk their bikes for a few hundred feet before they could get on their bikes again and continue.

The entire length of Speedway is included within City of Austin bicycle route #47, which continues south on Congress Avenue through the capitol and north to the edge of Austin on various streets.

However, since riding on sidewalks is illegal at UT, there still are two 'default dismount zones' for bicyclists on CoA route #47 at the north and south edges of campus.  At the south edge at MLK, the new Blanton museum was built without a through-route for bicyclists other than the sidewalk, even though there is room for some sort of accommodation.  Near the north edge of campus at Dean Keeton, northbound Speedway dead-ends in a cul-de-sac followed by a sidewalk area approximately 50 feet in length.  Bicyclists routinely ride through this area nevertheless, perhaps constituting the highest level of bicycle traffic in Austin (and maybe Texas). There have been no public threats from UTPD to begin ticketing for sidewalk riding in these two areas.

Thank Sam when you see him:
http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/biking/

Tom Wald
UT Orange Bike Project, co-chair

#2 2008-10-31 10:02:40

McChris
Website

Re: Speedway Dismount Zone now a "shared pathway"

I noticed that yesterday, and I was like, "Yay hooray!" The steps on the south side of campus are infuriating. Its also worth pointing out that there are no bike racks anywhere near the Blanton, which I think is pretty redonkulous. Over the summer, I asked the kid at the desk where I could lock my bike, and he suggested Jester, which is about two blocks away from the entrance.

#3 2011-10-20 12:10:06

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

According to a member of the email list, signs are going up today around the Blanton Museum that the area is a dismount zone for bicyclists, and police will start enforcing the no-riding rule more effectively.  It's a shame, because there is tons of room for a short bike path to connect Speedway to MLK, but as is often the case, UT likes to flaunt its stupidity.

#4 2011-10-20 16:20:19

cycling74

Sounds like someone finally got hit by a cyclist over there. I've seen riders fly through there when there are small kids playing in that area over by the restaurant. Just do as any normal bike commuter would do and stick to the streets. Brazos isn't that far away and sidewalks are for walkers.

#5 2011-10-20 16:36:17

tomwald

To those who may read this post from the start, the Speedway Dismount Zone that existed between 21st and 24th Sts. on the UT campus is _still_ a shared-use area.  The recent posts (Oct. 2011) are off-topic, but related.

#6 2011-10-20 20:15:42

bizikletari

MichaelBluejay wrote:

According to a member of the email list, signs are going up today around the Blanton Museum that the area is a dismount zone for bicyclists, and police will start enforcing the no-riding rule more effectively.  It's a shame, because there is tons of room for a short bike path to connect Speedway to MLK, but as is often the case, UT likes to flaunt its stupidity.

My understanding is that UTPD has always enforced the no ride policy on the stretch of the sidewalk that connects MLK to Speedway. I agree that it is just another stupidity from UT, but news is not.
I remember talking to city staff about it and they were clear about the importance of opening that segment to bicycles but UT is unwilling to start there that change in the world.

#7 2011-11-08 18:05:08

tomwald

Note that there is a new post on the Speedway/Congress/Blanton subject in a more correct thread: http://bicycleaustin.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=538

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 11 queries executed - Memory usage: 540.5 KiB (Peak: 541.13 KiB) ]