#1 2016-07-06 07:59:27

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Google's driverless cars have special considerations for bicyclists

For example, it recognizes cyclists' hand signals, and gives cyclists more space when sandwiching a cyclist between the Google car and a parked car with an open door.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/googl … icyclists/

#2 2016-07-06 14:49:32

RedFalcon

Re: Google's driverless cars have special considerations for bicyclists

It says 'For example, if the car registers both a bicyclist and a parallel-parked car with an open door, it'll move over to give the biker some space. '

It doesn't say anything about moving over 'in case' the door opens.

Yeah, I am not in favor of these cars.  I think they will just add to the stress of riding on these roads.

#3 2016-07-07 21:17:05

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

I don't know, man, I feel like I'd trust the self-driving car (SDC) way more than a human driver, since the SDC is never gonna be drunk, selfish, or act like an aggressive asshole.

#4 2016-07-08 13:03:25

RedFalcon

Yeah, maybe so.  I guess a lot depends on how well these things are programmed to work around pedestrians and cyclists.  If our needs are met, then I can see how self driving cars will be a big improvement.   But if they are programmed to slice by us close as possible in order to maximize their own efficiency it will be extremely stressful.  Especially during that period of time when there will be a mix of self driven and idiot driven cars on the road together.  I won't know if a car racing up on me is being driven by a computer that will pass me close - but safely- or by an idiot who hates cyclists and is trying to push me off the road. 

We need to be ready to stand up for our rights and needs as these things become a reality.

#5 2016-07-08 13:26:41

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

RedFalcon wrote:

We need to be ready to stand up for our rights and needs as these things become a reality.

Agreed.  But I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Cyclists aren't especially known for keeping quiet when they have a grief.  And the fact that Google is putting in bicycle-specific programming suggests that they're beyond receptive to input, they're actually proactive.

#6 2018-08-10 09:56:02

RedFalcon

While avoiding work and wasting my life away in front of a computer screen, I came across this fascinating youtube video about self drivings cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlbHeg7U6Tc

The guy has some pretty cool stuff, but he definitely strikes me as a techy kind of guy.   So I clicked on this expecting to see a bunch of pro-self-driving-car arguments.  (The Koch Bros ad at the beginning reinforced this expectation.)

I'm no tech expert. In fact, I'm typing this by candlelight on my Commodore 64.  Does this guy make good points, or is the state of AI better than he shows?

#7 2018-08-10 11:13:59

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Thanks, Red, that was a lot more interesting than I expected.  That guy is incredibly knowledgeable.  He's certainly pinpointed a lot of potential pitfalls.  It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

#8 2018-08-11 00:44:01

dougmc
Administrator

What Michael said -- that's a great video!

(Well, I wasn't a fan of the greenscreen-ed "I'm in a car" aspect of it, but the data relayed was indeed top notch!)

#9 2018-08-11 15:33:26

RedFalcon

I thought the most interesting part was the 'moral dilemma' stuff.  I haven't seen anything about that aspect of driverless cars before.  Everything seems to be focused on how well or badly the machines can detect pedestrians, cyclists, other cars etc.  The hypothetical situation with the kids crossing the street was really good.  Would people be expected to program in their level of willingness to be sacrificed in this kind of situation.  Would that setting be made public? Maybe time to re-read some Asimov and the rules of robotics.  Also, the part with the stop sign covered in a plastic sheet and mention of vandalism was something I hadn't heard before.  In order to keep these driverless cars from encountering tampered road signs how much will the State have to monitor the signs?  Will we end up with cameras on all of the intersections that don't already have them? 

There's just a ton of stuff no one is talking about.  Everyone is just being distracted by the shiny new technology and not taking the time to think this through (when have we ever, though?).

I read that downtown is getting driverless shuttles, kind of like the old dillos but with all of the problems mentioned in that video.  Of course, we could put them on tracks and pay someone a living wage to work the brakes.

#10 2018-08-13 12:42:34

Jack

Interesting the mention of stop signs as visual cues.  Drivers can miss a stop sign completely when it's view is blocked by a low branch or truck or whatever, but an AI driver system can miss a lot of different sorts of cues--and a stop sign with a plastic bag might be easily recognized by you or me but not by the machine.  I expect that when AI driven cars are very numerous we may move to different traffic control devices--something using transponders of some sort so there would be no chance of visual recognition problems.  Of course, there won't be baby stroller transponders (or will there be?).

#11 2019-12-16 17:06:56

RedFalcon

Looks like this article is a few years old, but wow, the folks at Mercedes don't play around:

"When they crash, self-driving Mercedes will be programmed to save the driver, and not the person or people they hit. "

https://www.fastcompany.com/3064539/sel … the-driver

What REALLY shocks me is that the story isn't about BMW!

Last edited by RedFalcon (2019-12-17 11:57:52)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 552.63 KiB (Peak: 568.66 KiB) ]