#1 2019-05-30 14:13:26

madmax951

Why no contiguous paved trails?

Austin is suppose to be a "Golden Bike City" yet there are really no loops or even contiguous paved trails for road bikers. It seems to me after looking at the map and the City of Austin Transportation plan of 2014 that there are no plans to tie anything together that forms any trip longer than a few miles?? This is why i'm posting to ask If anyone knows of any loop or out and back segment that's longer then 18 miles? Austin seems to be way more concerned about moving people from A to B throughout the city, great, for the rest of us we get short segmented trails crammed with families on the weekends. What the heck? Austin City Council wants everyone to ride 2 feet from a 5,000lb vehicle moving at 70mph (Parmer lane). I have found very little in the way of safe paved long didtance places to ride here. Unlike Florida where I can get on a paved bike surface 20ft wide and ride county to county 100 miles! Any thoughts or recommendations on safe paved road bike trails longer then 3 miles would be greatly appreciated.

"Matt the Knife" Miller
(I slice the wind)
2006 Kestrel Talon Ultegra

#2 2019-05-30 19:42:46

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Why no contiguous paved trails?

Well, the short answer is that Austin really *isn't* a bike-friendly city.  See the "Austin NOT a Top 10 cycling city!" link in the sidebar.

#3 2019-05-31 17:12:45

Jack

Another short answer:  paved trails for cycling that are separate from the regular streets and don't have dangerous intersections with regular streets are extraordinarily expensive to build and maintain and to the extent the city might want to spend that kind of money, there is a lot more bang for the buck if it is something that can help  people who want to get from A to B by bicycle rather than construct something simply for recreational/fitness use.  Now, there is the Veloway for those who want to ride a loop fast for fitness/recreation and there is the big effort with the Violet Crown Trail for a 30-mile route, though not to be paved.  Safe riding on pavement for great distances is not hard to find.  See for example https://bicycleaustin.info/getaround/ro … tonio.html

#4 2019-05-31 21:25:24

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Jack, you're right that those kinds of facilities are expensive, but they're also not just for rec cyclists (depending on where they're located).

There *is* the Walnut Creek Trail.  That's pretty long.

#5 2019-06-04 13:00:47

Jack

Of course!  Walnut Creek facility is nice and pretty long.   Incidentally, it can be used for a few A to B points and in the future even more.  A YMCA branch for example.  Don't forget the terribly-named LAB.  But since Mr. Miller seemed to be asking about where he can ride a road bike fast for some distance without feeling crammed by other users, that influenced my answer.  Large segments of it are inappropriate for fast riding on a Kestral Talon--sight lines are often too short. The Veloway is a great facility for someone wanting to train safely for as lone as s/he wants to, but you can't call it long.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.43 KiB (Peak: 537.05 KiB) ]