#1 2018-09-11 12:44:53

Donald Lewis

IDIOT scooter operator almost ruined my day.

And the scooter operator could well have been killed, making me have a really bad day despite being relatively blameless -- at least IMHO.

I was at Terry Black's BBQ on Barton Springs parked nose in at one the 90* spaces at the street.  There was a pickup to my right so visibility to the west was not great.  I looked all around and checked my rearview mirror and rearview camera and all looked clear.  I was slowly backing out and fortunately, out of the corner of my eye,  saw and stopped for a WRONG-WAY scooter operator to my left hauling ass west in the bike lane.  Thank god an excellent eye doc arrested glaucoma before I lost significant peripheral vision.   

Not the first wrong-way scooter operator I have seen, and yes, wrong-way is fine for walking but not for 20 mph+ speeds!

I guarantee that scooter operator hasn't a clue how stupid his behavior is.

OK, heart rate and blood pressure starting to come down now.

Don

#2 2018-09-11 14:02:04

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: IDIOT scooter operator almost ruined my day.

I'm so sorry that happened to you.  It's nerve-wracking, for sure.

What's the solution here?  Is one even possible?  Mandatory safety class before you can ride a scooter?  Go down that road (no pun intended) and it won't be long before they demand that bicycles be registered.  And requiring registration throws up a barrier that means fewer people bike/scoot, which runs counter to the goal of encouraging more non-car transport.

I've argued for some car-free thoroughfares, which would make it safer for cyclists and scooters, but we can't make every street car-free.

Besides dangerous behavior, I see people park scooters on the sidewalk all over town, completely blocking wheelchair access.  WTF?!

#3 2018-09-11 17:54:25

Donald Lewis

A little safety booklet provided by the scooter companies.  Renter has to sign that he read and understands the rules?

Except that won't work they way these are rented.  Perhaps part of the app is a page that stays up for 30 seconds.  "DO NOT RIDE AGAINST TRAFFIC!!"

Wrong-way is the worst thing.  I have seen very few cyclists doing this lately unless so slow it almost makes sense.

There was a scooter in the parking space in front of the shop a few days ago.  When you move one an alarm goes off.

There was another behind the gate in my little driveway  -- gate was closed and locked.  I don't understand that.

I was not very gentle when I moved it out of the way.  Tempted to throw the next one in the scrap metal recylcing barrel.  :)

Don

#4 2018-09-13 12:54:24

Jack

Personally, I'd like to see a crackdown by APD on dangerous and illegal scooter riding practices.

#5 2018-09-14 07:04:48

RedFalcon

Jack wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see a crackdown by APD on dangerous and illegal scooter riding practices.

I agree, but instead of just giving them a fine they should be required to take the bicycle safety class (since they ride in the bike lanes).  It's like defensive driving and can be used for ticket dismissal.  The course could be updated to include scooters. Let's get people educated and not just punished.

#6 2018-09-14 10:53:46

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

What he said!

#7 2018-09-18 13:05:07

Jack

Commentary on scooters and safety and rules of operation https://www.bikewalknc.org/2018/09/rule … -scooters/ 
"Democratization of our streets . . . " is an interesting way of putting the idea of accommodation of transportation options.

and another bit of reporting on injuries and maintenance issues  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … 2298bad852

Last edited by Jack (2018-09-18 13:18:19)

#8 2018-09-18 13:25:43

Jack

RedFalcon wrote:
Jack wrote:

I agree, but instead of just giving them a fine they should be required to take the bicycle safety class (since they ride in the bike lanes).  It's like defensive driving and can be used for ticket dismissal.  The course could be updated to include scooters. Let's get people educated and not just punished.

Or "since they _sometimes_ ride in the bike lanes" (though usually on the sidewalks)?  I've seen a lot of scooting but little scooting in bike lanes.  Of course, education on how to ride safely is key and if a crackdown could get that info out there and absorbed, all the better.

#9 2018-09-18 16:04:50

cycling74

Some positive effects of the scooter craze, with more people using cycling infrastructure, whether that be bike lanes, boardwalk, bike bridges, bike parking, the more people demanding better cycling/scooter facilities the better. I see an overall positive outcome with the scooters, but over the long term. And wow, they sure are fun!

Here's a story from today's Texas Standard regarding scooters and bike lanes.

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/ar … n-antonio/

#10 2018-09-19 11:35:14

Jack

A podcast on the subject:  https://www.axios.com/pro-rata-podcast- … d29e8.html  about 10 mins. "Why it matters is that, until a few years ago, cities hadn’t undergone a major transportation shift since horses gave way to cars. But now those changes are coming fast and furious, from ride-hail to self-driving to scooters. And each regulatory reaction, each incremental step, could set precedent for the next change."

I think we're wandering off the main point of the original post.  Sorry.

Last edited by Jack (2018-09-19 11:37:05)

#11 2018-09-25 14:16:49

Jack

I just saw (about 15 mins. ago) my first e-scooter crash.  Luckily, it didn't ruin anyone's whole day.  The rider was going east on the sidewalk along 16th and crossed at Colorado, mounted the wheelchair access ramp and went down.  She got right back up and brushed herself off and went on her way.  There's a lip of less than an inch between the ramp and the next pavement segment.  You might say that f a scooter can't handle that, it shouldn't be ridden on most sidewalks in Austin.  I don't figure that lip would cause any trouble for a wheelchair or electric wheelchair.

Last edited by Jack (2018-09-25 14:17:09)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 552.59 KiB (Peak: 568.61 KiB) ]