#1 2018-05-10 11:07:24

RedFalcon

Ride of Silence (Far North Austin location)

When: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 6:45; Ride starts at 7:00 PM

Where:  On all 7 continents, but locally, for the second year now, there will be a ride in North Austin starting from 14721 Bratton Lane in Wells Branch.  (There has always been a ride starting from Pfluger Bridge, but as of 5/10 I don't see it listed on the RoS website.  If anyone knows who is sponsoring that ride please ask that person to get it officially listed so that people downtown and farther south have a ride too.)

What: The Ride of Silence will traverse and unite the globe as nothing before it. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways.

Why: Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves. 

Who: You.  Join us for a slow placed family friendly 8-mile ride. 

Helmets and lights required.

For more information, visit: http://www.rideofsilence.org

#2 2018-05-17 14:25:44

RedFalcon

Re: Ride of Silence (Far North Austin location)

The second far north Austin Ride of Silence was a success.  I guess no one ever took on the downtown ride this year, at least it was never listed on the RoS website, or anywhere else I could find. Does anyone know if there was any kind of ride from the Pfluger bridge this year? 

Our ride had 13 people, including my two grandchildren.  One of whom was sick but we stuffed her in the trailer and went anyway. (And a good thing we did or we would have tied with the ANTARCTICA ride that had 12 people! (http://rideofsilence.org/reports/report.php))

Go Bike Friendly Austin!

Along with a nice ride we got to see some genuine Austin Assholery when a car driver cut across in front of us to turn right onto westbound Howard Lane from the left lane of southbound Thermal.  We even had a green light and were almost all wearing lights and reflective vests, traveling in the correct lane etc etc. The driver missed hitting two high school aged kids by a few feet, so that was nice.  But, for the most part it went well.

I'll do it again next year, but I hope some others will take on rides in other parts of town so we can cover a wider area and get more exposure.  I got a few things right and also made a few mistakes and would be happy to pass on what I learned to anyone interested in doing this next year.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.023 seconds, 11 queries executed - Memory usage: 565.99 KiB (Peak: 1 MiB) ]