#1 2017-03-07 22:56:51

bertd37

Dangerously obstructed visibility crossing I-35 at 4th St.

Many more cars have been parking on the east shoulder of the northbound frontage road over the past few months, nearly all the way up to 4th St.

(Near here: https://goo.gl/maps/c9z29Dyk1tC2)

As a result, the crosswalk across the northbound I-3 frontage at E. 4th has become very difficult to use going westbound due to limited visibility. Checking for oncoming traffic requires jutting into the frontage road - a dangerous prospect.

Has anyone else noticed this hazard? Suggestions? (I don't think 311 can address this, as I believe the cars are parked legally in accordance with current signage)

#2 2017-03-08 10:03:47

Jack

Re: Dangerously obstructed visibility crossing I-35 at 4th St.

You might just call or e-mail someone in the city bike-ped program.  I have always found them willing to listen and even sometimes come up with a fix.

#3 2017-03-08 12:50:19

bertd37

Good idea - will do

Jack wrote:

You might just call or e-mail someone in the city bike-ped program.  I have always found them willing to listen and even sometimes come up with a fix.

#4 2017-03-09 00:43:04

bikeeric

Nathan Wilkes at recent Bike Walk community input session (series of meetings through early April) indicated that a full signal will be appearing at both N-bound and S-bound frontage roads (timeline undetermined), rather than the HAWK signal that was earlier planned.

Also, last Thurday night in the wee hours City Council approved on third reading Endeavor's requested zoning/ additional entitlements for Cap Metro owned Saltillo District 11 acres (primarily 125 ft height for office building @ San Marcos St. and additional affordable housing provisions). Expect construction to begin within 2 months; completion of 800 unit mixed use project in ~ two years. The project will notably include extension of the Crosstown Bikeway (call it that "we" decided) alongside 4th St., curving north with rail R.O.W., and heading east at half block where it will pass on north side of renovated Texaco Oil warehouses/ Scoot Inn/ Texas Coffee Traders and into Plaza Saltillo service alley. The pedestrian (bike) street 'paseos' at both Medina and Attayac plus parkland between Waller and Navasota will nicely compliment the bikeway.

Already complete just to the east is bikeway along north side of Eastside Station Apartments. Here the bikeway approaches from alley on south side of Saltillo Lofts, turns north to south side of 5th St. rail R.O.W. where it will continue to Chicon with completion of 4th & project now under construction by CASPA development.

Well laid plans from 10, 15 and nearly 20 years ago finally coming to fruition. Next up could be reimagining E.5th St. between Chicon and Pedernales as a (low speed) 'shared street'. Austin is about to open our first try at a 'shared street' with opening of W. 2nd St. between Shoal Creek and Seaholm (West Ave.) adjacent to our new downtown Library.There seems to be growing interest (at least amongst urbanists) in shared streets, with Rainey St., W. 3rd (Nueces - Lamar) and E. 5th St. as appropriate candidates.
http://buildingatx.com/2017/03/plaza-sa … ld-taller/

#5 2017-03-09 12:57:44

bertd37

Wow, great info - thanks @bikeeric.

While improvements put in place over the past few years are certainly appreciated, I'm looking forward to improved safety for the frontage crossings, and eventually more seamless bikeway all the way east to Pedernales! (this is my daily route)

#6 2017-03-10 23:42:40

pjschaub

There's a no parking sign there now- hopefully it's permanent and not only for SXSW!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.54 KiB (Peak: 540.16 KiB) ]