#1 2017-02-05 15:53:08

Schludermann

Stealthy Helmet Camera

Folks,

After a year of riding an ebike, I've had enough close calls that I think it's time to consider a helmet camera.
I'm looking for a camera that has these features, low profile, GPS encoding and high capacity memory cards.
I want a camera that is not too prominent and doesn't draw attention to the fact I'm using a camera. 
GPS encoding just in case I forget where I was. Since the eBike is my sole means of transportation, I'm riding all the time.
So a camera compatible with a high capacity card is needed. Because I equip my eBikes with high capacity battery packs,
I can use cameras with small internal batteries if there is a provision for an external power connection and draw off the main battery.

I'm hoping to keep it under $250. I use Apple computing products.

#2 2017-02-05 16:32:57

RedFalcon

Re: Stealthy Helmet Camera

I have two cameras on my bike.  On the front I have a Rideye, and I have a Fly6 on the back.  Both are designed specifically for cyclists.  They record in a loop so that you never have to remember to clean out a disk.  The videos are in short segments that you can pull off to edit.  The Rideye has a feature that keeps it recording for 5 mins after it senses an impact.  It works, too.  I had it mounted on my mountain bike for a race and when I crashed it worked just as advertised.  Both are recharged with a usb cable.

Oh, the Fly6 people now have a Fly12 that is designed to face forward.

If you get a Fly 6  it comes with a really crappy mounting system.  I found someone online who has a 3d printer and is selling better mounts.

I have a different opinion on keeping my cameras hidden.  I wear a bright yellow reflective vest when I ride.  On it, I write 'SMILE FOR THE VIDEO"    It has been a great conversation starter.

Both cameras are good enough so that you can read the license plates of any vehicle that causes you problems.  I have lots of videos showing some pretty bad driving behaviour.

#3 2017-02-06 10:46:33

RedFalcon

Oh, another thing. When I got my Rideye camera I had planned on mounting it on my foam hat, not on my bike.  I figured that if something bad happened I would natural look in the direction of the danger and so capture the event on video.  But, I also really like having one of my lights mounted up there.  It allows me to look down side streets and I can aim it right at drivers so they can see me better.

Putting both up there didn't work, so I moved the camera to the bike.  It works just fine there.  It captures such a wide view I don't really miss anything.  Most of the bad stuff that happens to us happens in front of us anyway, or at least from enough of an angle to get captured on video.  I only got a rear camera after a dump truck deliberately tried to run me off the road.

The Fly12 forward facing camera includes a light.  Had it been available at the time I would have bought that.

Both types include a time and date stamp.  Neither has a gps function, but I'm not sure why that would be useful anyway.  It seems to me that you can just look at the video and see where you were.

#4 2017-02-13 09:51:11

glockdoc

I have been told that for any pic/video (home/auto/bike) to be valid in a TX court it needs to have a time/date stamp.

#5 2017-02-13 10:36:35

Jack

"told that for any pic/video (home/auto/bike) to be valid in a TX court it needs to have a time/date stamp"

I doubt that has much basis.  You might consult a lawyer in the know, e.g., http://www.cyclistlaw.com/  Evidence is evidence.  While a time stamp on a photo or video can help to corroborate your testimony about an incident, surely it isn't the only way.

#6 2017-02-13 13:57:49

RedFalcon

I don't know the answer to the question about a time/date stamp being necessary.  What I can say is that I was once on a jury and we had to look at evidence that included data from police dash cam.  It was never discussed, but it helped to see that the time and date were accurately displayed and that the time and date matched the rest of the testimony.  Given that these cameras come with this feature it only makes sense to use it.  Even I was able to figure out how to set the stamp and I used to have a VCR that only ever showed the time to be 12:00. 

I have found that the time/date stamp on my cameras sometimes get off, though.  Not sure why, since I keep them charged, but they do.  Once a week I pull the cameras off the bike and check the time/date stamps.  If you are using a camera I suggest checking it periodically.

Oh, I was wrong about the Fly12 camera.  It does seem to have some gps capability.  It does all kinds things that just seem like extra clutter to me, but someone else might find really useful.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.54 KiB (Peak: 540.16 KiB) ]