#1 2016-12-04 18:01:12

AusTexMurf

Commuter Bicycle Pics

I was thinking that it would be nice to have pics of the bikes people commute on. I know that I like checking out other folks' commuter rides to see how they have modified them for comfort, visibility, utility, and style.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-12-04 18:02:04)

#2 2016-12-04 18:10:11

AusTexMurf

Re: Commuter Bicycle Pics

I regularly commute/ride around town on 5 different rigs set up for me. We are a family of six and we all have multiple bikes.
Here is my current go to commuter as it fits like a glove and is very fun to ride on mixed surfaces around town.
1991 Bridgestone MB-4. Original drivetrain and major components. Love the 26X2.0 Continental Travel Contacts purchased at BikeALot on Brad's advice. Have rolled about 4 sets of these Travel Contacts in 700 and 26 inch sizes on touring and commuter rigs. Great all conditions tire for Austin and many other areas.

Bridgestone1

Bridgestone2

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-12-04 18:16:29)

#3 2016-12-10 19:34:47

RedFalcon

I was going to post a picture, but I can't figure out how to do it.  I tried dragging the image this message box, but it just filled it up with no way to resize or add text.  What am I missing?  I do this all the time at work with emails etc, but I can't make it work here.

Thanks

#4 2016-12-11 00:34:51

AusTexMurf

FluxBB bbcode test produces FluxBB bbcode test

Click on BBCode link below 'Write your message and submit' screen and open in new tab. Help List to BBCode for BicycleAustin forums. Linking to images requires a bit of trial and error . Google photos and some other sites do not share well on the forum. DropBox does seem to work well as needed.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-12-11 14:48:23)

#5 2016-12-13 06:53:08

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

RedFalcon, the forum doesn't support drag-and-drop from your hard drive.  Basically, you have to get the picture somewhere on the web first, and then link to it.  For example:

[img]http://Example.com/image.jpg[/img]

#6 2016-12-17 12:54:56

RedFalcon

commuting%20bike%201.jpg

OK, maybe this will work.   The image doesn't seem to show up here but if you open it in a new tab you can see it.

Here's my commuting/ touring bike.  No, I don't normally ride with a trailer attached.  This was the 'before' picture from my last tour.

I used an aluminum cyclocross frame and added Deore XT mountain bike drive train.  I have it geared so low that on a tour I can climb really steep hills fully loaded, or I can haul a weeks worth of groceries home in a trailer. 

All of the bikes in our house are set up with Shimano spd pedals so that in a pinch anyone could ride any bike.  I know that some commuters don't like clipless, but I like them because I can accelerate a bit quicker when I need to.  And I often need to as my commute is on roads with high speed traffic and unfriendly/distracted drivers. 

I added Avid BB7 mechanical brakes so that when I tour in the Hill Country, and it rains, I know I will be able to stop.  My last touring bike had rim brakes.  But, on one rainy tour I was coming down the big hill on FM 337 west of Vanderpool and decided I would get disc brakes.

The wheels are Velocity deep rim 700 x 35 with as many spokes as I could get.  I love these wheels.  After 6 or 7 years of daily abuse they are still as true as when I got them.  I have Continental Travel Contact tires on them.  The smooth road like center part is fast enough, and the knobby sides make it possible to ride on dirt and gravel when necessary.  Under the tires I added Rhinodillo liners.  Yeah, they add a bit of weight and are a pain to install, but I don't like fixing flats on a cold dark rainy morning.  I actually go through more bike pumps than I go through inner tubes!  I have had several pump seals disintegrate before they were even used.

I can't remember who made the front rack, and I have gone through several rear racks.  I have a set of Jandd Hurricane panniers for tours and another set of Deuter panniers (shown) for everyday use as well as tours.   These go on the front rack on a tour.

The saddle is Brooks B-17.  There is no substitution! 

I also added a Profile Design fast forward seat post and aerobars.  This bike rides a lot like my triathlon bike, and the aerobars are helpful in a headwind.   They are mounted on 'butterfly' touring bars so I have lots of options for hand positions on a long ride.

On the aerobars I have a Rideye video camera so that one day my next of kin can have some hard evidence to use against some idiot Austin driver.  I also have a Fly6 rear facing video camera. (I got the rear camera after a cement truck driver deliberately tried to run me off the road.)

For lights I have a Niterider 750 mounted on the aerobars and a Bontrager Flare R rear light on the saddle bag.   This is supposed to be visible a mile away in the daytime.  The Fly 6 is also a tail light.  On my styrofoam cap I have another Niterider 350 (front) and a Niterider Solas (rear).  I ALWAYS turn the lights on when I ride, even if I am just going around the block. At work I have a docking station set up so I can recharge all of them very easily.

I really like my set up, but I think my next bike will have a steel frame and fork.  This has a carbon fork, but I don't entirely trust it and always check it for cracks.

Last edited by RedFalcon (2016-12-17 12:56:14)

#7 2016-12-17 17:04:25

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

I fixed it.  You'd linked to the page that has the picture, not the actual picture itself.

#8 2016-12-17 17:18:10

RedFalcon

Thank you!

#9 2017-01-06 21:55:33

AusTexMurf

1997 Trek 830
This bike was my old backup mountain bike. Rebuilt with better components around 2001. Converted to commuter and child trailer pulling duties in 2003. It's compact and low slung frame was well suited for hauling kids, groceries, utility bike, etc. This old Trek has served me well for more than 50K miles. Excellent all conditions touring rig and well suited for on or off road use. Current build is SRAM 5.0 shifters/derailleurs, Deore trekking crankset, Velocity Aeroheat wheelset, Continental Country Plus 26X2.0 tires, SKS Longboard fenders, Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Shimano platform/SPD pedals, custom cut bars w/ wrapped bar ends, Ergon grips, extra stem for lights/accessories, Tubus rear rack, RackTime front rack, 2 trailer hitches, bells, lights, etc...
Heavy but very comfortable and good cruising speed with 24/36/48 rings up front and 11-34 9 speed rear.

trekcommuter

trekcommuterwtrailer

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2017-01-07 12:12:03)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.016 seconds, 14 queries executed - Memory usage: 571.93 KiB (Peak: 587.15 KiB) ]