#1 2016-11-01 10:45:04

nbr

Commuting from North Central Austin to Veloway

Hello - I'm new to bicycle commuting. I have about a 20 mile commute from North Central Austin to Southwest Austin near the Veloway and Bowie High School. I'm interested in maybe biking to work once a week, but I've been having trouble determining an acceptable route. I wouldn't mind a combination of bus and bicycle. Its easy for me to get to Ladybird Lake, but if anyone has any suggestions for routes South of the lake I'll take them. Thanks for reading.

#2 2016-11-01 14:59:44

Jack

Re: Commuting from North Central Austin to Veloway

I suppose the answer hinges on what sorts of routes you'd find acceptable or not.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lady+Bi … 58!3e1!5i1  spells out three options which imply lots of variations on those options.  Have you tried a route or two you don't like?  What don't you like?

#3 2016-11-01 17:31:59

AusTexMurf

Here is one way I might flow that:

30th/31st to Guadalupe or parallel on Rio Grande/Nueces/San Gabriel flow to downtown.
Take 3rd st/shoal creek hike and bike old bridge path in front of Trader Joes hook south after parking lot then right to cross lake at Pfluger pedestrian bridge to Riverside through Butler park up Dawson/S 5th Bike Route 31. Keep heading south on Bike Route 31 crossing ben white at bannister, left on casey, to W St Elmo via Mt Vernon.
W St Elmo to right on Vinson Rd continue south on Emerald Forest to Turtle Creek 4 stop in front of Odom Elementary.
Turn right on Turtle Creek then left on Woodhue crossing William Cannon.
Right on Matthews crossing Manchaca until dead ends. Turn left then next right.
Make a left on Whispering Oaks, jog to Seminary Ridge at Manasas and make a right on Brisbane to cross Westgate.
Continue uphill as street becomes Goldbridge through stop and on to park path. Cut through park to Longview to left on Harpers Ferry.
You can actually ride Westgate, Brodie, or continue across Brodie via Harpers Ferry, Eskew, Copano to cut south through the neighborhood across Davis and then Slaughter. Popping out exactly where you need to be. Easy connectivity from there.

Many routes possible. This one is just more pleasant on quieter connecting neighborhood streets as much as possible.

Get the Austin Bike Map.

COA webpage, here.

Print copies available in most LBS.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2016-11-02 05:07:57)

#4 2016-11-04 11:21:32

Darron

I can't really comment on the routes south of the river but I've found that looking at the Strava Heat Maps will give you a good indication of routes often used by commuters:
http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13/-97. … /blue/bike

South 5th St seems to be a well traveled route south of the river.  The the popular route seems to be Barton Skyway>Garden Villa>Banister Ln>Redd St>Pack Saddle Pass>Either Westgate or Brodie>Slaughter

Darron

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 11 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.41 KiB (Peak: 536.04 KiB) ]