#1 2014-10-31 01:05:45

holymoly

Assaulted/Arrested by APD 9:10pm Tues 10/29

Any witnesses to the scene which unfolded Tues night on Guadalupe and W Chavez.  I was headed south bound toward the 1st street bridge.  I was taunted, sneered at, thrown against the police car ... without any clear reason.  I was detained for no reason.  I had a warrant for a previous bike APD incident. Once discovered i was treated to even worse violence, nightmares and harassment. Spending the night in jail. I'd love to be on the wall with Shaun and Bernadette too.  I wasn't under any influences, not intoxicated.  The officer was sitting in the bikelane in the newer suvs cars.  No blinker.  I let him know politely.  He went nuts.

#2 2014-10-31 08:41:13

rickb

Re: Assaulted/Arrested by APD 9:10pm Tues 10/29

Yes,  law authorities on the street do not respond favorably to criticism.  Nor is jail any fun, regardless of what we see on TV.
So, even though you had a warrant out for your arrest (which you had apparently failed to address in the past) you approached an officer to criticize him for his parking?

Last edited by rickb (2014-10-31 08:41:56)

#3 2014-10-31 22:11:02

holymoly

well thanks mrB.  i suppose.  Yes.  When riding downtown at night I am defensive.  When cars block the bike lane, usually I take a deep breath.  When our law enforcers block the lane (without lights or blinkers or any indicator of direction) I always stop. 10% of time they go haywire. This time, I tried humor with "I am issuing a ticket as a cyclist" with a dumb grin.  whatever the reason the officer threatened and instigated, i started to hyperventilate, then he got physical ... w/out a clue to de-escalate.  it's on tape unless he turned off the dashcam.  he broke the law.  twice, three times ??? in order to take me to jail. 

When is a good time to offer criticism to cops? When i feel endangered? In front of the police cam?  Or should I wait to offer advice that could protect my life, until after the fact.  I know we have soooo many means/ways to communicate.  I am sure there are better tactics than mine.  mr w

#4 2014-10-31 22:33:16

holymoly

I am looking for witnesses.  On two occassions I asked passerbys to stop and bear witness.  One guy did, and filmed it.

#5 2014-11-01 08:47:42

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Whether it was a good idea or not to confront an officer about parking in the bike lane, I hope we can all agree that it's not appropriate for officers to illegally abuse citizens just because the citizens complain about something.

About that, I'd like to hear more about the assault.  What exactly happened?  Did you suffer any bruises or injuries?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.41 KiB (Peak: 537.03 KiB) ]