#1 2014-09-20 07:20:06

Script

Visitor Nov 2 to 9 ...routes and lodging

I intend to visit Austin from November 2nd to 9th and would like some recommendations on where to stay, either in town or where the riding is best.  I currently ride about 200 miles a week and am looking to do the same during my stay.  Some suggestions for routes would also help.  I am familiar with mapmyride and will use that as a source as well.  My south Florida ride pace is about 20 mph.(What's a hill??? ). All of my riding is solo or small group and I am safety conscious and Extremely compliant with traffic laws....stop at stop signs, signal turns, etc. etc. I appreciate any suggestions as to rides and lodging locations.  Thanks!

#2 2014-09-22 21:05:42

badgnome

Re: Visitor Nov 2 to 9 ...routes and lodging

Script wrote:

I intend to visit Austin from November 2nd to 9th and would like some recommendations on where to stay, either in town or where the riding is best.  I currently ride about 200 miles a week and am looking to do the same during my stay.  Some suggestions for routes would also help.  I am familiar with mapmyride and will use that as a source as well.  My south Florida ride pace is about 20 mph.(What's a hill??? ). All of my riding is solo or small group and I am safety conscious and Extremely compliant with traffic laws....stop at stop signs, signal turns, etc. etc. I appreciate any suggestions as to rides and lodging locations.  Thanks!

Downtown and full service: Omni; nearest bike shop will be Mellow Johnny's

East side boutique: Heywood; nearest bike shops will be Fast Folks (single speed specialty),East Side Peddlers and Division One; a bit east of here is the start of the new Walnut Creek trail

On a budget: H.I. Hostel right next to the trail and new boardwalk!

Last edited by badgnome (2014-09-22 21:06:36)

#3 2014-09-23 06:47:07

Donald Lewis

I respect your standard regards stop lights and stop signs.  I have to report that on almost all the group rides I have been on, the group rolls through stops signs when the way is completely clear.  Stoplights are a different manner and the letter of the law is usually respected. 

There are a lot of rides posted on Austin Cyclist Meetup.

Don in Austin

#4 2014-09-23 07:28:44

Script

Thanks badgnome and Don. 

I understand the group ride mentality.  We all have to make choices.  I didn't say it to create any debate or conflict, just to profile my behavior in case there was anyone interested in riding a couple hundred miles a week and knows good routes.
My thoughts as to lodging location has me thinking about somewhere 15 to 25 miles out of town...assuming traffic may be less on roads less traveled.   Could anyone suggest whether north,south,east or west would have the best riding?
Thank you in advance!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.024 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 569.47 KiB (Peak: 1.19 MiB) ]