#1 2014-06-06 00:22:22

dougmc
Administrator

Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk Trail Grand Opening 06/07 10am

https://www.facebook.com/events/1476292229272641/

Join The Trail Foundation and the City of Austin as we celebrate the grand opening of the Boardwalk on the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake. Themed “Run, Walk or Bike on Water,” the celebration will feature a ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication of artwork by Ken Little, music by the SoundWaves, a festive march across the Boardwalk led by the Eastside Panther Drumline, and an aerial dance performance under I-35 by Blue Lapis Light. Don’t miss out on this momentous event! www.thetrailfoundation.org/portfolio/the-boardwalk

BELTING IT OUT!
In 2012 the City of Austin Art in Public Places program commissioned artist Ken Little to create artwork for the Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk Trail. He was selected originally as part of an artist team led by The Art Guys, of Houston. The artwork that Ken Little has created is entitled “Belting It Out” and is an installation of 36 cast bronze western-style belts integrated into the railings on both sides of the boardwalk. Embossed on each belt is a lyric fragment from a well-known Texas singer or songwriter. The artist hopes that these musical quotes will generate a Texas melody in our imaginations, evoking stories and memories, as well as reminding us of the strong association Austin has to Texas music.

KEN LITTLE
A native Texan, Ken Little has been a Professor of Visual Art at the University of Texas San Antonio since 1988. His work in various media has been shown extensively both nationally and internationally. This year he was designated by the Texas State Legislature as the 2014 Texas State artist (3-D) – selected for his years of excellence and dedicated commitment to the arts in Texas. He also plays guitar and sings in two bands called Rodeo Ho Ho and the Swingbillies.

So far, 1,071 people have RSVP'd "yes" to this event on Facebook.  This tends to not give a very accurate view of how many people will show up, but given what this is and how it's probably been advertised well outside of Facebook ... I imagine there will be over a thousand people showing up at 10am wanting to walk and ride the Boardwalk.  Those who want to walk will probably be OK, but with a parade going on I suspect that wanting to ride it might be a problem.

That said, I think I'll be riding out there just for the people watching aspect of it, and if I can ride the boardwalk on opening day that's even better.

#2 2014-06-06 11:45:26

Donald Lewis

Re: Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk Trail Grand Opening 06/07 10am

I am eager to ride it, but not so enthusiastic about crowds.  Will wait a week or so.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Donald Lewis (2014-06-06 11:45:47)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 527.41 KiB (Peak: 537.04 KiB) ]