#1 2014-05-19 09:36:49

bizikletari

CoA truck drivers are on a rampage.

Be aware of a Watershed Protection truck license plate is 877 291 (I think)

This morning I was on my bicycle on the bike lane at E12th St. at the corner of Springdale Rd waiting for the green lane going West, when the damned truck squeezed over the bike lane to turn North on Springdale Rd. trying to save a few seconds on his route. It was a scary situation because the truck actually touched my right elbow.

A few weeks ago another (?) city truck hauling a large trailer passed me very close on Webberville Rd. and almost clipped me when turning into Fort Branch. What's wrong with the CoA drivers training?

I wrote to watershed, we'll see.

#2 2014-05-21 08:18:21

bizikletari

Re: CoA truck drivers are on a rampage.

I am happy to update this with good news. The driver supervisor at WP wrote me in response to my complaint

(Watershed Protection supervisor) wrote:

This morning I met with the crew operating the vehicle to discuss the incident and traveled to the location at 12th and Springvalley [sic] with the crew, their direct supervisor and their superintendent. We discussed the placement and operation of the City of Austin truck, yourself and your bicycle and the small red car that was taking a right turn northbound onto Springvalley [sic] ahead of the truck. In addition, we measured the width of the right hand turn lane in relationship to the bike lane.

It is my conclusion that our truck violated the three foot clearance rule when it entered the right turn lane next to your bicycle.

We are taking the following actions.

Although these crews have been trained in the past, we are retraining all Watershed Protection Department crews and employees on the bicycle ordinances, bicycle safety and awareness. We are posting additional bicycle safety awareness bulletins in all common work areas showing the three foot and six foot clearance requirements and a copy of the Vulnerable Road User Ordinance. We are adding a bike lane training and bicycle safety module into our new employee hands on vehicle training. The crew involved has been individually coached on these requirements and the seriousness of any repeat violations. »

#3 2014-05-21 10:17:53

Jack

Thanks for pursing it.

#4 2014-05-21 10:33:17

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Wow, that's a great response!  I'm glad they're actually concerned about this over there.  Thank you for lodging the complaint — sometimes it actually works.

#5 2014-05-21 10:55:20

dougmc
Administrator

Wow.  Just wow.

I'm a little surprised that they took "the truck actually touched you" and turned that into "it is my conclusion that our truck violated the three foot clearance rule", but that's a pretty minor nit.

That said ... they had some mighty specific information there, probably more specific than you gave them.  Perhaps they're running dashboard cameras on their trucks?  Or perhaps they found surveilance video?  Either way, that's impressive that they took you that seriously, and that speaks well both for you and them.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.93 KiB (Peak: 537.55 KiB) ]