#1 2013-12-11 17:36:21

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Bike Austin and Austin Cycling Assoc. to merge?!

http://bikeaustin.org/2013/11/special-b … n-members/

The merged group would likely be called "Bike Austin", which is curious since I assume ACA's membership is much larger.  (I was also hoping that they'd abandon the name "Bike Austin" since it's so close to the name of this website that I've been using for years prior to their formation.)

The biggest problem I see is that Bike Austin is a 501(c)4 which means they can do political lobbying (which they should), while ACA is 501(c)3 and can't.  So either the new group is 501(c)4 and all the current ACA-only members lose their tax deduction, or the new group is 501(c)3 and can't influence elections.  The former is preferable, since I doubt that the tax deduction was a deciding factor in anyone choosing to join ACA.

#2 2013-12-11 20:35:01

tstarry

Re: Bike Austin and Austin Cycling Assoc. to merge?!

The membership difference isn't that much...certainly nowhere close to an order of magnitude...BA is somewhere around 500, ACA something like 1500. 

As an example for how this could work I would look to Cascade Cycling Club.  Non-profit advocacy/political organization that has an associated 501(c)3 education foundation.

I don't believe that the big draw for ACA membership is the charitable aspect.  I could be wrong.  I often am.  But it was not the reason I joined.

#3 2013-12-13 14:01:53

damicoaustin
Website

Actually, 501(c)(3) is a huge issue, not necessarily for members, but for when you're out there trying to get bigger contributions. A lot of times it doesn't matter much for things like event sponsorship, because businesses can simply write it off as marketing, but there will be occasions, hopefully, when a c-3 status could impact whether someone gives a large amount of money.

Regardless, the way to go is to have an arm on each side--whether it's like Tim mentioned with an offshoot that's an education foundation, or the other way with an offshoot for political work. c-3s can do almost everything a c-4 does. But MBJ, that's incorrect on the lobbying issue. C-3s can lobby all they want. (There is an IRS stipulation that the money spent on lobbying can't be substantial, but with a simple election filed with the IRS, you then can spend a lot, e.g. 20% of the first 500k in your revenue, with further definitions of spending as you go up.)

But one big difference is that c-4s can endorse candidates and directly work to ask people to vote for candidates, and c-3s can't, thus the possible need for a c-4 arm, or possibly a formal PAC.

Since I've faded from the scene working with Bike Austin, I don't know anything about the particulars of this proposal. My main concern is a loss of focus on more, shall we say "strident" advocacy, that ACA is not known for. Then again, I think we lose a lot by having the energy and resources of two organizations separate. So I'm neutral at this point, but have always expressed support for what Tom and Bike Austin Board are doing....exploring, discussing and now, negotiating, to see if its workable and supported by the membership.

MBJ. Yes, Bike Austin is obviously similar to this site. But it's valuable name structure, since so many other cities around the country are adopting the same nomenclature with their advocacy orgs. The merger definitely be an interesting discussion.

#4 2013-12-14 12:20:23

tstarry

Good point on charitable contributions from other than membership fees.  I was focusing mostly on membership because that's really what Austin is lacking.  Both current organizations, along with the state organization (Bike Texas) are anemic when compared to the more effective advocacy groups in other cities.  Less than 2000 people are members of either Austin group combined, and there is some overlap. 

Imagine what might happen in Austin if we had 10,000 members (San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, et al).

Any merger discussion/effort needs to address this issue.  How to draw membership and/or contributions to expand both advocacy (including political endorsement/lobbying) and charitable efforts.

#5 2013-12-14 16:52:46

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

About those membership numbers, this seems like more evidence that maybe Austin isn't as bike-friendly as is the stereotype.

On the merger, it seems like it might cause a drop in total financial support from the members:  If someone's a member of both groups now, they're paying dues to both groups.  If there's just one group, then they'll pay dues to only that one group.  Maybe they'll increase the amount of dues they're paying voluntarily...but maybe they won't.

Oh, and damicoaustin, thanks for the clarification on lobbying/endorsing statuses!

#6 2014-01-30 13:22:17

dougmc
Administrator

I received an email from Bike Austin (it's quite unfortunate how close that name is to this website's!) last Friday that said that the BA board unaminously approved the merger, and that the ACA board would vote on it 1/29 (which I guess already happened.)

In any event, BA is now having the membership vote on it.

I'm not really privy to any internal dealings with either group, but it sounds like this is going to happen.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 544.8 KiB (Peak: 545.42 KiB) ]