#1 2013-12-28 11:11:54

AusTexMurf

Bad Driving On The LAB

LAB @ Red River

Not sure what, exactly, was the issue with the driver.
Sometime, I believe right around 2:15-2:20am, westbound on 4th @ Red River. Frequently around this time of eve, there are 2-6 pedicabs w/ passengers and multiple bicyclists sitting in this intersection waiting for the traffic light on the LAB. Glad that there was only a pole in front of the truck last night.
Took these photos at 2:49am.
There were still a total of 4 vehicles in the LAB. This truck, APD cruiser, tow truck, and another, unrelated car. They were still wondering how to get the truck off the bollard/pole when I left.
Time, place, nature of the accident…hmm.

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-12-29 07:03:21)

#2 2013-12-28 20:03:01

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Bad Driving On The LAB

According to this comment on Facebook by somebody who was apparently there, the driver wasn't drunk --

Sarah Yopp: Surprisingly enough the driver was not under the influence of alcohol and was pretty calm about the whole thing. He said he slammed on his gas accidentally which then gave him the momentum to end up where he was. Not sure what he was on but...

... now, if that's true, I'm still very glad it was a pole that was in front of the truck when that happened rather than a pedestrian or cyclist!

#3 2013-12-29 07:19:14

AusTexMurf

Some conflicting info on the cause of the accident.
Didn't see the accident occur nor did I see the driver drinking heavily in a nearby bar, myself…
However, I was told by an officer on the scene that the pickup truck shown in the photos was possibly rear ended by another vehicle while waiting, westbound on 4th, at the light at Red River. Driver may have panicked and accelerated through the intersection into the cycle track, hitting the bollard ??? Also, officer said that the driver was a bit confused but reasonably calm. He said that he actually felt sorry for the driver of the pickup, for whatever reason.

And it is my understanding that the driver was allowed to leave the scene.
Not perfectly clear what exactly was the issue with the pickup truck driver.
Just glad no one was killed this time.

And,

The impaired driving around town was out of control on Friday.
One car driving down the bike lane on Stassney, w/ 2 empty car lanes to the left. I had to hop up on the sidewalk to avoid her.
Good news is she was driving slowly, like 25 mph.

Another driver cruising down the east bound cycle track on Barton Springs around 2:10am. Hopped out of the bike lane and took the far left lane to get out of her way.

Then watched what appeared to be a crazily intoxicated woman get into a poorly parked car on Guadalupe @ 2nd St. Start up, rev engine, drop into gear, change a couple of lanes, and run through two intersections at 2nd and Ceasar Chavez. Never looked for traffic and didn't turn her headlights on, either. Crazy.
Wonder what happened after the S 1st bridge ?

The next incident I saw that night was this truck, creatively parked on the bollard on the LAB.

Happy Holidays !

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-12-29 07:29:37)

#4 2013-12-30 15:37:09

vattiat

I don't think having a car driving down that section of LAB is an isolated or even occasional incident.  I was walking over to the Palm Door recently and saw a SUV driving east on the LAB, with several pedestrians yelling for the driver to stop (which he did not).

The bollard only prevents cars from driving straight into the LAB, but there is little to stop cars from driving across the train tracks.  You might not even notice the bollard coming south on Red River and taking a left on the LAB.

Last edited by vattiat (2013-12-30 15:37:50)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 537.18 KiB (Peak: 537.8 KiB) ]