#1 2008-09-05 11:44:16

jfine

New bike regulations for the upcoming Texas Legislature

Is there a particular group or groups working on writing revised bicycle rules, regulations and guidelines to submit to the next Texas Legislature?  I am sure Kirk Watson would be very receptive to sponsoring it.    Even better, I would think Lloyd Dogget would want to submit national legislation in light of his recent bike accident.
I'd like to get involved in it.

#2 2008-09-06 09:05:37

damicoaustin
Website

Re: New bike regulations for the upcoming Texas Legislature

Yes, the Texas Bicycle Coalition is actively working on legislation. We (LOBV) met with them last month to talk about the upcoming session January. The passing law will be something considered. But if anyone has any other issues they think could be effectively addressed on the state level, let us know or post 'em here.

#3 2008-10-03 15:44:55

dougmc
Administrator

If we're looking for changes in the laws, a few specific ones I'd suggest --

1) widen the definition of a `bicycle'.  Right now, it says `"Bicycle" means a device that a person may ride and that is propelled by human power and has two tandem wheels at least one of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.'.  At the very least, it should be expanded to include bicycle like devices with three or four wheels.  They're technically not bicycles, but they should be subject to the same regulations.  As the law currently stands, read literally, tricycles would appear to not be permitted on the road at all.  From § 758.001 -- Tricycle" means a three-wheeled human-powered vehicle that is designed to have a seat no more than two feet from the ground and be used as a toy by a child younger than six years of age.'

2) allow for a bicycle specific version of defensive driving, which cyclists could take when they get tickets.  There's already a motorcycle specific class, so a bicycle specific class would fit in well there.

Of course, going along with that, somebody would have to offer these classes.  The LOB might be willing to do so, or might be willing to adapt their Road I class to it.

#4 2008-10-07 08:51:29

JW

A bicycle specific content SHOULD be instituted in defensive driving, for motorists. Retraining motorists to see and respect bicyclists is the way to use defensive driving courses to lower the incidence of bicycle/car collisions.

#5 2008-10-17 10:31:50

aliciab
Website

What about something to empower us against the "cyclist had no helmet therefore getting run over by an inattentive motorist was their own fault" argument?  Several states (DE, FL, MA, NY, RI, VA) have statutes that specifically say that the fact that a cyclist was not wearing a helmet is not evidence of negligence.  Of course, these are in conjunction with helmet-related laws (either requiring them, or stating that local governments can require them), which may or may not be a can of worms people want to take on this session.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.020 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.34 KiB (Peak: 535.97 KiB) ]