#1 2013-11-15 11:38:47

AusTexMurf

What bike(s) do you ride for commuting ?

1997 Trek steel mountain frame, rebuilt many times. Current setup is Surly LHT touring fork, Schwalbe Big Apples, hand built Velocity Aeroheats, Brooks flyer special, hellbent risers w/ ginormous bar ends, ergon grips, Deore LX/SRAM 3X8 drivetrain. This bike is my all purpose urban assault rig. Gets me wherever I need to go in austin and pulls two different child trailers, a Weehoo recumbent, and an Adams TrailaBike. Front and rear racks. Mismatched (purposely) panniers, one Ortlieb Shopper (great around town) and one dutch Basil for around town use. Covered in stickers. Steel hippie bike. Easy to overlook in a bike rack when there are many others so bright and shiny. Perfect rig for rails to trails and the bike trails/connections in the creeks and green spaces of south austin.

2010 Origin8 CX700 steel monstercross. Brooks B17, conti travel contacts, hand built Velocity Dyads, Ultegra/Tiagra/Deore+ mix, 39/52 front 12-36 rear. Nice gearing range w/ good top end. Front and rear racks. Ortlieb Shopper and Racktime Workit Pro panniers. Versatile, fast, multi condition commuter/touring rig. Single trailer hitch.

1983 Univega Sportour. Origin8 'Speed' deep v wheel set, 700c conversion, Tektro long reach calipers. Mechanically rebuilt but original paint/finish. Rear rack. Panaracer TServs, 700X32's but also run skinnier/faster tires at times on this one. Real sleeper, this bike. Disappears in a bike rack but can surprise quite a few modern roadies on this old school setup.

Other bikes in the stable, also, but don't see much transportation/commuting use.

Wife and kids are also bike commuters.

Kate rides a 2010 Surly LHT, brooks b17s, Deore XT, full racks and fenders. Nice ride.
And her utility bike, a 2000 Specialized HardRock step through, Frankenbiked deluxe w/ hand built wheels, Deore LX, Conti CityRide II tires, Wald baskets, etc.

We use a Chariot Cougar double trailer, Burley Honey Bee, Weehoo iGo recumbent, and Adams TrailaBike to get our kiddos and groceries around town.

You ?

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-11-18 18:19:02)

#2 2013-11-15 12:27:39

AWG

Re: What bike(s) do you ride for commuting ?

I ride my dad's old Bridgestone RB-T.  He picked it up used in the 90's and rode across the country in it.  I finally got into cycling and he gave it to me.

Brooks B17 - My 1st.  Wore out my dad's about 4 years ago.
Rear rack that just barely fits the frame.  Novaro water-proof panniers that I just repaired yesterday with silver ducktape.
Cheapo fenders - cardboard zip-tied
brass bell
Drop bars with end shifters.  Yellow/black speckled bar tape

Everything else has always been there and I haven't ever learned what it is.  I do have a unique stem that's garnered interest from other cyclist.

#3 2013-11-15 14:17:50

AusTexMurf

AWG wrote:

I ride my dad's old Bridgestone RB-T.  He picked it up used in the 90's and rode across the country in it.  I finally got into cycling and he gave it to me.

Brooks B17 - My 1st.  Wore out my dad's about 4 years ago.
Rear rack that just barely fits the frame.  Novaro water-proof panniers that I just repaired yesterday with silver ducktape.
Cheapo fenders - cardboard zip-tied
brass bell
Drop bars with end shifters.  Yellow/black speckled bar tape

Everything else has always been there and I haven't ever learned what it is.  I do have a unique stem that's garnered interest from other cyclist.

A Bridgestone RB-T is an excellent bike for commuting and touring. Your dad has good bicycle taste. Almost a cult type bike, pretty highly desired in the pacific NW. 1994 model was the best spec'ed and last year of Grant Peterson control w/ bridgestone.
Keep it up; keep it.

SBPoster

Bridgestone RB-T

#4 2013-11-15 14:46:42

AWG

Ha! That 2nd pic is the model I ride.  Feeling pretty proud right now.  Maybe I should post a pic.

#5 2013-11-16 09:31:02

AusTexMurf

We have a CoMotion Americano and a Salsa Vaya Ti on the forum as well.
Some nice 'bents, too.

Jack's ride is a dream bike for touring and hassle free long distance commuting. And he rides the heck out of it. Fast, strong rider, amazing bike.
Are you going to post, Jack ?

Last edited by AusTexMurf (2013-11-16 09:33:37)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 539.44 KiB (Peak: 540.06 KiB) ]