#1 2008-06-02 23:55:44

Bernie
Website

What's Your Daily Ride?

Here's a post to get this forum started:  What's your daily ride?  What kind of bike and what kind of riding are you doing regularly?  If you've got more than one bike, what's the one that's currently getting more miles than the others?

I've got a steel Specialized Rockhopper from '92 that's served me well since I bought it new in college, two hours after my first credit card came in the mail...  Over the years, I've replaced or customized nearly every part except the handlebars: racks, panniers, fenders, 50 tooth chainring, bar-ends, slicks, BOB trailer, etc.  I dream of an extra-cycle conversion for it with the next financial windfall that comes my way.

grocery_getter.jpg

The Rockhopper has the most miles on it, but the bike I'm *really* digging right now is a Redline Monocog 29'er.  This is a single-speed mountain bike that I've re-geared for the street (42x17) and replaced the knobbies with 700x38 armadillo skins.   It's like a super-comfortable one speed road-bike that takes a lot of punishment.  It's fast, light, responsive, and tough.  No decent pictures of it right now, but watch this space for updates.

So what's your favorite ride?

-Bernie

#2 2008-06-03 09:22:09

Jason
Website

Re: What's Your Daily Ride?

The main ride you'll see me on around town is this:

angusdowntown.jpg

IRO Angus with a moderate road gear (46x17), and a higher fun gear on the other side (46x15). This bike is incredibly fun and I probably ride it to and from work more than I should. I'll usually either carry a messenger bag/backpack for my gear or just travel light and stuff everything into my pockets or strap it to the bike.

I actually have a "commuter" bike I built up to be my always reliable do anything bike:

irorobroyoutside.jpg

IRO Rob Roy with a wacky gear setup. Up front I have a 44/40 double, and in the rear I have a 17/21 fixed cog (Surly Dingle Cog) with a 17/19 freewheel (White Industries Dos Eno) on the opposing side. This gives me a range to play with and makes the bike incredibly versatile. The bars are On One Midge bars which are similar to the WTB Dirt Drops in that they're drop bars with a wide top portion and flared out drops. Gives me lots of torque for taking it on trails and through busted parking lots. I must say offroading fixed is a fun and oftentimes harrowing experience. Only 1 gear doesn't allow me to use the rear brake, but it's a fixed gear and is pretty low (44x21) so it's not a big deal. Since the pic was taken I've added cross levers, swapped the tires for 700x35c Armadillos, and went to eggbeaters for pedals. I probably ride this one to work 3/4 of the time these days, and any time I have to pick up a load (I have a rack and/or trailer I add to the bike) or move stuff around. I've got panniers for my rack so if it looks like rain or it's really hot and I don't want to carry a bag I'll use them.

As to what kind of riding, my commute is either 9 or 17 miles each way, depending on if I catch the single bus that heads out there. I live up north (183 and Burnet) and work down south (Southwest Parkway and William Cannon) so I get to see a good deal of the city every day. Other than my work commute I ride almost everywhere and anything not up north is a haul, so I manage to spend a lot of time in the saddle. For fun I like riding Walnut Creek, town lake hike and bike, BCGB, or any one of the numerous pub crawls/moonlight cruises/group rides that happen all the time these days.

#3 2008-06-08 00:42:05

chuckthomas

55" Edlee Ordinary.  Direct drive, hard rubber tires (no flats)   Spoon brake but like all fixies most braking is done with your feet.  Excellent slow speed control.  Very comfortable copy of Brooks long distance swing saddle.  Cruise speed 12 mph.  I descend with my feet hanging over the handle bars :-)    Damn, I need to mow that grass.

edlee.jpg

#4 2008-06-09 17:14:00

Pedal Pusher

Wow!  Do you really commute in that?  That is so cool looking!  Do you dress like these guys?

http://www.jimlangley.net/spin/wheeling.html

#5 2008-06-09 19:52:07

Tower of Pedal

i want direct drive and hard tires on my road bike. hell yeah. i just might have to move the seat back like 8 inches somehow.

#6 2008-06-12 23:09:24

chuckthomas

I do ride it almost daily and sometimes some pretty good distances (around 25 miles each way to downtown Austin) but most of my trips are in the neighborhood.  I have a modern commuter for most of my daily stuff. 

The fun scale goes like this:  commuter->modern fixie->highwheeler.

I usually wear shorts, sandels, and a tee shirt but I have a costume tux jacket with long tails and a nice top hat that I wear for special occasions.

Pedal Pusher wrote:

Wow!  Do you really commute in that?  That is so cool looking!  Do you dress like these guys?

http://www.jimlangley.net/spin/wheeling.html

#7 2008-06-13 00:56:30

Lynn

chuckthomas wrote:

I usually wear shorts, sandels, and a tee shirt but I have a costume tux jacket with long tails and a nice top hat that I wear for special occasions.

He also tips his hat in a very suave manner!

#8 2008-06-13 15:57:57

Pedal Pusher

I think you should consider growing a handlebar mustache!

#9 2008-06-14 00:02:43

chuckthomas

I couldn't grow facial hair if I had to.  Maybe I could buy one and glue it on  :-)

Pedal Pusher wrote:

I think you should consider growing a handlebar mustache!

#10 2008-08-11 22:41:39

Adriel

mybike.jpg

I need a clearer picture and I removed the aero bars.  Now that I figured out how to get the pictures off my phone, I may take them more often :)

Last edited by Adriel (2008-08-11 22:42:19)

#11 2008-08-28 12:37:22

mhaller

Okay, this is not my daily ride.  But, I'm proud that I carried my 11.5ft kayak down to town lake (okay... only a mile, but...), and spending only $10 on a pair of high tension straps.  Everything else, including pipe for the tow-bar, I had around already. 

Pqa63C0-c6afc7e120fa68fb310e6365579b1501.jpg

#12 2008-08-28 18:23:35

seth
Website

Older Giant carbon fiber bike I bought used last year in an Okie bike shop:

show.php?i=cadex-3Ffy.jpg

Sometimes rough, but super light and fast.

Seth

#13 2008-09-04 17:31:49

bikinpolitico
Website

I've got an Xtracycle Freed Radical Kit on the way but right now I ride my Bianchi road bike just about everywhere:
racebladefullbike.jpg

Last edited by bikinpolitico (2008-09-04 17:34:59)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.042 seconds, 13 queries executed - Memory usage: 601.7 KiB (Peak: 1.32 MiB) ]