#1 2013-02-15 22:32:08

Tlep

Critical Mass- Austin, TX 6:00 p.m. 2/22/2013

Critical Mass is the oldest regular mass bicycle ride in Austin, TX. older than the TNSR and older than the monthly Full moon cruises. RIDE. YOUR. BIKE.

Critical Mass is a monthly bicycle ride to celebrate cycling and to take back the streets.
We meet on the last Friday of every month (holiday or not, rain or shine) at 6:00 p.m. on the UT West Mall where it meets Guadalupe (between 22nd & 23rd Streets).

NOTE: This is a slow paced ride, all levels of cyclists are encouraged to come out and ride with us. so no rabbits please, we try to make this great for everyone. typically someone there will have tools as well. just sayin.

Who runs Critical Mass?

Nobody. There are no leaders. Anybody can ride, and whoever happens to be in the front of the mass usually determines the route. Riders are responsible for their own actions/behavior

What route do you take?

It's random. Sometimes busy streets, sometimes peaceful streets. Whoever's in front usually determines where we go.

What's the purpose?

Everyone has their own reasons for riding on Critical Mass. Some see it as a protest of cars, others just like to go on a fun bike ride. After being menaced every day by cars, many of us find it exhilirating to ride with 50-100 other cyclists in a fun, supportive atmosphere. Critical Mass doesn't have any specific agenda or goals. While most of us would like to see an end to the car culture, Critical Mass doesn't have a specific plan to hasten that goal; it's just a bike ride. (Although many of us do work with other organizations that have specific plans for increasing cycling access.)

What should I bring to a ride?

Water; and beer. you'll get thirsty.
Lights. From October through March, it gets dark early.
Noisemakers. Bicycle bells and squeeze horns are the best.
Friends. Bring all ya franz.

#2 2013-02-16 00:23:03

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Critical Mass- Austin, TX 6:00 p.m. 2/22/2013

Note, it's just as illegal to drink and bike as it is to drink and drive.  And just as dangerous.  I can't remember the figure, but I remember reading years ago about how some large percentage of cyclists involved in injury accidents had been drinking.

#3 2013-02-16 00:37:00

dougmc
Administrator

Tlep wrote:

Critical Mass is the oldest regular mass bicycle ride in Austin, TX. older than the TNSR and older than the monthly Full moon cruises.

It's older than the monthly Full Moon rides, I believe this is true, however the yearly Full Moon Cruise is now 30 years old and Critical Mass is only 21 or so years old.

The TNSR is a toddler, not even old enough to start Kindergarten ...

MichaelBluejay wrote:

Note, it's just as illegal to drink and bike as it is to drink and drive.

This isn't so certain.

Texas's DWI law says this --

PENAL CODE
TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS
CHAPTER 49. INTOXICATION AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OFFENSES
Sec. 49.01.  DEFINITIONS.  In this chapter:
(3)  "Motor vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 32.34(a).
Sec. 49.04.  DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED.  (a) A person commits an offense if the person is intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle in a public place.

-- which seems pretty clear, bikes aren't motor vehicles, so you can't get a DWI on a bike.

HOWEVER, here's where it gets weird --

PENAL CODE
TITLE 7. OFFENSES AGAINST PROPERTY
CHAPTER 32. FRAUD
Sec. 32.34.  FRAUDULENT TRANSFER OF A MOTOR VEHICLE.  (a)  In this section:
(2) "Motor vehicle" means a device in, on, or by which a person or property is or may be transported or drawn on a highway, except a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks.

... so according to that definition, which is the one used by the DWI statute, a bicycle is a motor vehicle.

So technically speaking, a DWI is a DWI, be it bike or car.  That said, the police generally treat the two very differently in Austin.  In a car, you get arrested and charged with DWI.  On a bike, if they arrest you at all (rather than telling you to walk home or call a cab), it's usually for a public intoxication charge, which is a much less serious charge than a DWI.

No arguments on being just as dangerous.  Though at least drunk riding is sort of self-limiting -- if you're too drunk to even keep your balance, you won't be riding your bike.  But you're not too drunk to try and drive -- no need to balance there.

#4 2013-02-16 00:59:48

Tlep

Doug, that's why I said the monthly full moon rides. I know that the annual is older.

Michael, I don't really care, come ride your bicycle with us, or don't. I was just promoting a ride.
good day sir.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 537.23 KiB (Peak: 537.85 KiB) ]