#1 2012-10-25 10:39:48

DFTR

Bee Caves after Construction

I used to bike commute pretty regularly till they started working on Bee Caves.  I was discouraged b/c the lack of lines meant cars were buzzing by me and there was more debris on the roads so I was worried about getting flats.  Now that the construction is finished I find that they have dramatically repainted the shoulders b/w the 360 and Barton Creek Blvd. to where it is only a 3 foot shoulder/gutter.  Downtown I don't mind using these bikelanes or taking the lane when necessary.  But I worry about the speeds here (usually 65+mph). 

I think they are also working on 360.  Will they renovate the shoulders in similar fashion?  Perhaps I'm distressed w/ change and feel depressed not having biked to work in a while as it started the day in a positive fashion.  Is there anything we can do?  Can we at least get a Shareway or some Bicycle signs up?

#2 2012-10-26 12:43:54

damicoaustin
Website

Re: Bee Caves after Construction

I saw this too and was very concerned. I`m actually at a bike workshop with TxDOT folks and will inquire.

#3 2012-12-14 16:39:34

owlman

Just following up here... Damico, were you able to ask TxDOT about the situation?

#4 2012-12-14 17:35:51

tomwald

I've been in touch with TxDOT on this one, and trying to coax a solution given the current situation.

Note that I haven't seen the situation in person (since the resurfacing).  So I'll be speaking with secondhand knowledge (from concerned cyclists and TxDOT staff) on what it looks like.

At a section where the shoulder is now the narrowest, which is next to an intersection, it is likely that TxDOT could narrow the center lane and get some more space for the shoulder.  However, the likely way to do this is to resurface the road in that section, so it'll cost more than just striping.  So, on behalf of Bike Austin, I'm working on getting that section resurfaced and restriped sooner rather than later, so that the worst section can be improved.  From what I understand from people who bike that road, prioritizing that narrowest section is the best focus at this time.

#5 2012-12-20 16:23:00

owlman

Thanks for the update.
It's kind of sad how that intersection was just reconstructed so recently but seemingly without any concern for bike/ped facilities.  Sure would have been cheaper to put in lanes at the time!

#6 2013-01-04 14:41:16

rich00

owlman wrote:

Thanks for the update.
It's kind of sad how that intersection was just reconstructed so recently but seemingly without any concern for bike/ped facilities.  Sure would have been cheaper to put in lanes at the time!

TxDOT does this all the time. They often makes things more dangerous for cyclists with new construction. Cyclists always are the least of their concerns.

They say they support cyclists but only when it doesn't take anything away from a car or pedestrian. So yes, you as a cyclist will get marginalized and possibly killed because you are not considered a valid form of transportation.

Last edited by rich00 (2013-01-04 14:42:08)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.23 KiB (Peak: 535.86 KiB) ]