#1 2012-07-29 13:00:46

bfinkeldei

Want to Hire Someone to put engine on bike

I want to buy a gas or electric engine for my trek hybrid.  I mainly want to bike but on the hot days don't want to go into work soaked and use the engine to augment and make it easy.  Anyone have experience installing these?

#2 2012-07-30 07:59:56

CharlesDuffy

Re: Want to Hire Someone to put engine on bike

We have a few specially shops in town who do electric conversion kits -- personally, I can recommend Alien Scooters or Electric Avenue. I would strongly suggest electric rather than gas; not only do they pollute far less (even taking into account production of bike, battery and electricity), but they also are allowed on Cap Metro -- whereas the train, at least, allows electric bikes.

#3 2012-07-30 08:05:19

bfinkeldei

Great thanks for the info!! I'll give them a ring this week!!

#4 2012-07-30 10:54:19

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

bfinkeldei, wherever you get an electric motor for your bike, please report back here about how it went!  I'm sure others would like to hear about your experience.

#5 2012-07-30 11:26:03

CharlesDuffy

CharlesDuffy wrote:

We have a few specially shops in town who do electric conversion kits -- personally, I can recommend Alien Scooters or Electric Avenue. I would strongly suggest electric rather than gas; not only do they pollute far less (even taking into account production of bike, battery and electricity), but they also are allowed on Cap Metro -- whereas the train, at least, allows electric bikes.

Blerg. Very embarrassed -- I was writing this on my phone, and failed to proofread. The train disallows gas-powered vehicles onboard, but electric bikes are fine. In terms of what to expect -- a hub-motor e-bike (almost all conversion kits and the strong majority of pre-built e-bikes on the market are this type) will work best if you pedal yourself to get started, but can keep you at speed once you're there (ideally with help from your legs to maximize speed and extend the range), especially on flattish ground; however, underpowered hub motor systems can bog down on steep hills, so you'll want to keep in mind the inclines in your commute in deciding how much power you need. A mid-drive e-bike (considerably rarer) puts the motor's output through the chain, and thus your derailleur or geared hub, and thus provides far more assistance climbing hills or starting from a stop. These can be tuned to work best with a specific cadence, regardless of gear -- the one I used to use got the best output from the motor with its rider keeping a brisk cadence around 85 or 90... which meant both good exercise, and far more speed than I could maintain on my own, especially on inclines. The primary folks I know of selling less expensive pre-built mid-drive e-bikes is a local company (with their manufacturing outsourced to China), R Martin; if you were looking for a higher-end / premium option, there's a company, Optibike, hand-building custom-frame mid-drive e-bikes in Boulder, CO -- these have handily won the Pike's Peak hill climb for each of the last three years.

If you want a forum to read about some of your options on electric bikes (especially if you decided to try doing the work yourself), http://endless-sphere.com/forums/ is a good source of information.

Anyhow -- either of those shops should have people who know what they're doing and are happy to help. And yes -- do report back about your experience! My office is thinking of moving into the middle of 360, and I'll want another e-bike myself (sold my last one a few years back) when I can no longer take the train right into the neighborhood of work.

#6 2012-07-31 13:35:28

chuckthomas

I have an almost new (about 20 miles on it and never wrecked) Izip Via Rapido for sale for $700.  New ones go for $1000 or more.  I'd recommend buying a purpose built electric bike as these are frame designed to accommodate the extra weight of the equipment and built to hold the battery and wiring in a more stationary manner.  I'm in NW Austin Chuck 925.7767m

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 540.25 KiB (Peak: 543.73 KiB) ]