#1 2012-07-13 10:02:20

supernovae

McNeil between 183 & Parmer - Extend those bike lanes?? please! :)

Anyone know if they will ever complete/extend the bike lane that stops at Research park loop on McNeil between 183 & parmer?  Right now i commute up parmer and cut through the neighborhood but even then, when i turn left from Lost Indios Trail to McNeil just to try and cut over to Technology Drive, i feel like i'm putting my life on the line - there is no shoulder, terrible wide parking  lots with traffic zipping in and out and the right turn to get on technology drive has absolutely NO room if traffic is there..

#2 2012-07-13 12:13:09

jmayson

Re: McNeil between 183 & Parmer - Extend those bike lanes?? please! :)

I work in that office park and know exactly what you mean.  I get the feeling here at work that people are hostile to cyclists because we "slow down traffic".  Also a lot of drivers use this office park as a cut-through and to them it's just another road placed for their convenience.

But to answer you question, I don't know if/when they'll extend the bike lane.  I believe McNeil Dr was a little wider where they added the bike lane.  Maybe it's not easy to add it the rest of the way?

FWIW based on the markings on Lake Creek Parkway between RM-620 (and beyond?) and US-183 I think they're adding a bike lane there.  It would be nice to have a bike lane all the way to the Lakeline transit station.

#3 2012-07-13 12:37:45

rmonsees

I used to work on Technology Blvd, and I would strongly advise not riding on that section of McNeil.  The traffic is fast, there's lots of it, and the road is narrow so I'm not sure bike lanes would even help there.  If you can find an alternate route, use it.  That section of road is an accident waiting to happen.

#4 2012-07-20 15:48:16

supernovae

Got some replies to my inquiries. "Travis County does intend to stripe for bicycle lanes after the City of Austin water line is installed along McNeil Drive.  The water line project will trigger an overlay of the roadway which in turn will allow us to alter the striping configuration and add bicycle lanes, but until the road is repaved, the striping will remain as is"..  unfortunately the water line project is delayed.. so we shall see.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.82 KiB (Peak: 532.45 KiB) ]