#1 2012-06-29 14:01:40

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Bicyclist warns motorists about speed trap -- and gets arrested

A bicyclist held up a sign warning drivers about a speed trap ahead, and got arrested for it.

Probably most drivers think nothing about speeding, but aren't cyclists supposed to realize that speeding cars are dangerous, and not something it's a good idea to aid and abet?

http://gma.yahoo.com/texas-woman-arrest … ories.html

#2 2012-06-29 16:58:37

jmayson

Re: Bicyclist warns motorists about speed trap -- and gets arrested

Yeah, I *NEVER* warn drivers about police patrols.  If a driver is speeding they need to be pulled over.  I'm not going to warn them.

However, isn't this a free speech issue?  I know in many places it's illegal to flash your lights and that's generally what a driver is cited for.  I suppose they could consider this obstruction of justice, but who knows?

#3 2012-06-29 21:14:47

chuckthomas

Michael, I think you're missing the point here.  This lady was taking a noble and much needed stand against the abusive and tyrannical police state.  If you listen to her account, she says that the cop was pulling cars over randomly.  She also indicated that the officer arrested her without cause and searched her contents without warrant or consent.  If their real objective was to slow down traffic, she was actually helping with that.  Obviously, that was not the cop's objective.  This was a money grab and the real victim here is liberty.  We should all be so brave.

#4 2012-06-29 21:25:32

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

No, I'm well aware that the cyclist broke no laws and that the police improperly arrested her.  There's no question that her liberty was violated.

But police ticketing speeders is not the same thing as our living in a police state.  As for her contention that that drivers were being pulled over randomly, that's a bit harder to believe.  In any city, there's no lack of real speeders to go after, so I don't know why the police would intentionally target non-speeders, especially as they'd be the most likely to contest their tickets.

Finally, I don't buy that she's any kind of hero for slowing down traffic, because it slows down only while she's holding the sign.  Getting ticketed potentially slows a driver down in the future, not just as a one-time event.

#5 2012-06-29 22:54:24

savanni
Website

Speed traps: Not a police state
Beating protesters in Occupy Wall Street: police state
Pepper spraying people sitting on the ground with their heads bowed: police state
Beating anyone who photographs their activities: police state

Let's keep some perspective here.

And, a significant fine for speeding is going to do far more (though still precious little) to slow drivers down than one person holding up a sign saying "oh, hey, don't break the law *Right* *Here*".

#6 2012-06-30 11:29:22

jmayson

savanni, if this board had a LIKE button I'd like yours.  ;-)

Spedding *IS* a crime and *IS* dangerous.  I don't like the term "speed trap".  It implies a citizen is doing nothing wrong and is illegally detained by police.  The truth is far different.

#7 2012-08-24 11:28:33

Mreilly06

I think we need to be careful about how liberally we use the term "police state." Without a doubt many cops are guilty of taking their power too far, but being ticketed for a speeding does not make this a police state.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 540.46 KiB (Peak: 541.09 KiB) ]