#1 2012-06-28 12:07:44

savanni
Website

APD plans to slow down traffic fatalities

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/pol … 05512.html

I note how thoroughly they list off the pedestrian violations they're paying attention to.  Now, I haven't been keeping good track, but how many of the pedestrian deaths actually had pedestrians in the roadway?  Was it actually a majority?

Here's a little single-sentence gem:

"...police will add more than a dozen new patrols to target drunken driving and other high-risk driving violations." (but only between 6pm on Sunday and 6am on Monday)

I wonder if that means they might start, oh, ticketing people for speeding, driving on the shoulder, or running stop signs and red lights.  Nah.  That would make too much sense.

Please excuse my cynicism (or call me out on it, that would be okay, too).  I'm a little bitter after a car Tuesday evening failed to stop and then cussed me out while driving off.   Unscathed, though.  Let's hear it for reflexes and good brakes.

Last edited by savanni (2012-06-28 12:08:14)

#2 2012-06-28 14:06:45

jmayson

Re: APD plans to slow down traffic fatalities

I couldn't agree more.  It still makes my jaw drop when I see drivers run red lights or stop signs right in front of a cop and the cop does nothing.  Usually talking on the phone, playing on their laptop, etc.

#3 2012-06-29 09:53:04

Augenwinkel

11th and Waller? Because 11th and Waller is such a high-risk intersection where walkers die when they get hit by cars? You're right, savanni, and I think it's not too cynical to say it: much of this article again focuses on walkers' behavior very specifically, without giving much specific information about dangerous driving behavior. I don't know who they think is actually going to be safer because of this "new" initiative. And can anyone tell me why APD has not yet given up the terrible name of PEST?

It just seems so simple to me. The car has a larger potential to kill, thus it needs more enforcement and regulation. How does this get lost in translation?

#4 2012-06-29 17:04:11

jmayson

Maybe it's just my perception as I'm 42 now and was 16 then.  Back in the 1980s I swear traffic enforcement was much more stringent than it is today.  The speed limit was 55 mph and even a little over would get you pulled over.  My mom was in Colleyville, TX and was ticketed for driving 47 in a 45.  I was with a friend in the Atlanta area and he was ticketed for not staying in his lane during a left turn.  I hate to admit, but about 20 years ago when I was back in Florida I was ticketed for 39 in a 35.

Is it the "leave me alone" Tea Party mentality?  Was there a court ruling somewhere along the line making it harder to convict drivers?  Is it just part of the whole deregulation mentality across the board?

#5 2012-06-29 17:10:02

savanni
Website

I've listened to conversations from people who knew how to get out of a ticket.

Basically, you tie up the court demanding to see one piece of evidence after another.  First, you demand that the ticketing officer is present.  Somewhere in there you demand the calibration records on the radar gun.  And so on and so forth.  This was a long while ago, but the gist of it was that if the judge doesn't summarily shut it all down, it becomes more expensive to ticket you than to just let you off.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.59 KiB (Peak: 537.22 KiB) ]