#1 2011-06-10 09:44:13

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Los Angeles more bike-friendly than Austin

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but L.A. has a Ciclovia while we don't.  A Ciclovia is a single-day event where several miles of roadways are closed to motor traffic so cyclists, skateboarders, roller-bladers, and walkers can enjoy the streets without going head-to-head with deadly cars.

I know the City had some planning meetings about having a Ciclovia here a couple of years ago but then the idea seemed to die.  I wrote to City staff a couple of weeks ago but didn't get any answer about what, if anything, is happening.  I'm gonna guess it's not gonna happen for us unless some volunteers step up to do the planning.

Here's more on L.A.'s Ciclovia.

#2 2011-06-10 11:14:38

bizikletari

Re: Los Angeles more bike-friendly than Austin

I participated in a series of meetings when the idea took some momentum in 2009.

In November 2009, City Council voted to held the ciclovía during bike month May 2010. In January 2010 it was clear that it wouldn't happen and BPP suggested October. My opinion was that in that case we should wait to May 2011.
Since then, I've been asking BPP ≈every 3 months. The responses have been either "we are working on finding a venue and financing" or "now it's too late to have it for this year" Last time I asked was at the BAC meeting on January 2011.

The main obstacles seem to be:
     a)They need to arrange street closures with at least 6-month advance notice.
     b)Having the ciclovía on meaningful streets is a very difficult and uphill political battle.
     c)BPP rather focuses in what they do best. Bike infrastructure.

Yes, I concur, it will only happen when a group of volunteers decide to do it.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 529.48 KiB (Peak: 530.11 KiB) ]