#1 2010-12-14 16:23:42

rich00

Mopac bike facility

LOBV sent out the action letter to us yesterday about how there is the possibility of including a bicycle facility in the redesign of Mopac from Parmer Ln to Town Lake. I sent my letter to the city supporting such an idea, thanks LOBV.

I dreamed about such a route when I moved to an apt off of Steck. I can't begin to describe how much more efficient and faster it would make bike travel. Mopac is essentially a pure even gradient the entire way.

- Get on a road bike, and soft pedal to downtown at 20mph. Coast if you have a tailwind (other than the Far West hill). For 10 miles.

That'd be pretty sweet if that was available. Bikes getting the same convenience as cars - a direct and efficient roadway with no stops? Amazing!

The only concern I have is that I think the bike path would need to be as far away from the auto lanes as possible. No cyclist wants to be close enough to many lanes of internal combustion engine exhaust polluting the air they are sucking in deeply. Think Loop 360 - that can be an awful experience if the wind is not coming from your right side. Even 25 feet is not enough distance IMO.

Maybe it will be an elevated bike path? I have no idea what sort of design they are thinking of for Mopac. Are they making it 5 auto lanes each direction? But I am really intrigued that this idea has even come up. I'd love to hop on the road bike for a workout and average 30mph heading south into the city with a tailwind. :D

Shoal Creek Blvd is a decent route N-S, but you have to either Take Lamar (gag!) or the sidewalk/trail (sloow) when you get to 38th, and of course dodge parked cars in your bike lane.

Last edited by rich00 (2010-12-14 16:24:52)

#2 2010-12-15 16:49:32

rickb

Re: Mopac bike facility

I also commented on the Mopac project.  I received this email back.  All I got was a statement that accomodation "will be considered"...not very significant. 
------------------------

Dear Mr. Byrnes,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the MoPac Improvement Project web site. Pedestrian and Bicycle accommodation will definitely be considered at part of the study effort. Our Executive Director is a strong supporter of such facilities and we have included them on all of our other projects, even though there is no requirement to do so.  The key issues on MoPac will be funding challenges and potential right-of-way constraints. We are already talking to the City of Austin about the issue and will definitely be looking for opportunities to improve bicycle and pedestrian mobility in the corridor. If I can be of any additional assistance in this matter, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Steve J. Pustelnyk

Director of Communications

Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority

#3 2010-12-23 00:08:24

rich00

Re: Mopac bike facility

COA needs to realize that if they really want to increase bicycle transportation use, they must make it safer for cyclist to bike into the city from the suburbs. That means dedicated bike paths that actually take you places efficiently.

There's quite a few of road cyclists who live outside of the city who might start considering taking the bike if they feel they can do so without having to ride roads like Burnet and N Lamar.

Even if these bike paths don't complete a route to the city, having them link neighborhoods and shopping/office plaza in the suburbs would be a significant way to encourage bike use.

No cyclist enjoys sharing a roadway with 50mph traffic that engulfs them in exhaust, even if they have a legal bike lane.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.34 KiB (Peak: 531.97 KiB) ]