#1 2010-12-20 20:13:28

rcg40

RFID on bikes

I think that RFID on a PET works like this
the vet implants a little rfid thingie which has a battery good for three years
If you lose the pet or it is stolen, you call a number and register that rfid number.

If a vet sees a new pet or even an old one, the vet's rfid -reader beeps to say that this pet is lost?
or stolen?

A BIKE RFID could work in a similar way.

http://www.stolenbicycleregistry.com/rf … e_win.html

#2 2010-12-21 16:45:11

dougmc
Administrator

Re: RFID on bikes

RFIDs generally don't work inside metal, since radio frequencies (RF) don't go through metal.  I'm not even sure these tags would work stuck to metal.  Also, the article talks about pointing the reader at a pile of bikes and it picks up all the RFIDs at once?  I don't think they work like that.  Beyond that, it certainly sounds good.

You could just put a sticker on your bike with your name and number, or engrave your TXDL number on the frame.  Stickers and engravings on pets doesn't work so well (though you could tattoo your name on your dog I guess, if that doesn't qualify as abuse and it's not covered by fur) but they work great on bikes.

#1 thing -- keep track of your serial number.  Save it BEFORE your bike is stolen.  And if it is stolen, file a police report, even if you don't think it'll help.  And report your bike stolen to the various registries.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 528.3 KiB (Peak: 528.93 KiB) ]