#1 2010-09-12 17:13:41

Donald Lewis

Breakthrough for commuters who live between 290/71 in Oak Hill

I moved from South Austin to Oak Hill a few years ago.  Lots of people ask me if I ride my bike to work -- South First St, about a mile south of the river.  My wife kept saying there has to be a way.

The answer was always the same:  "No way I am going to ride my bike on 290, not a mile, not a 1/4 mile, not 1/8 mile!! It can't be done."  Nor are 71 and Southwest Parkway appealing to me.

Now it can be done.  There is a new road from the Pinnacle campus of ACC that comes out exactly opposite Convict Hill Rd.  There is a light so crossing 290 is no issue.  A street called "Silver Dale" takes you to the back gate of the Pinnacle campus which is locked, but you just walk your bike around the gate and proceed through the parking lots.  I come from Westview Estates off of Circle Drive through the Covered Bridge subdivision to the neighborhood around Scenic Brook to Silver Dale.  Convict Hill, jog up Woodhue to William Cannon because Convict Hill narrows with no bike lane or good shoulder as it gets near Brodie.  On W. C. I ride on the sidewalk.  That kind of sucks, but W C. is not very friendly when busy and it is always busy.  There's very little activity on the sidewalk.  From W. C. I go to Emerald Forest to head north.  Emerald Forest turns into Vinson, takes you to St. Elmo to Bannister to cross Ben White.  Then through neighborhood streets  - Garden Villa, South Fifth to my shop at 1636 South first.

Just under 15 miles total.  And its all good any time of day except I don't too much care for the W. C. stretch.   

It can be done.

Don

#2 2010-09-13 10:05:50

Chuck_McNeil

Re: Breakthrough for commuters who live between 290/71 in Oak Hill

If you turn south at Latta, there's a very pleasant route to Emerald Forest.  On the Austin Bicycle Map, it's Route #82 and Route #31. 
There's also a way to do it via Route #43.  Take #82 to West Gate, cross William Cannon, right on Berkeley, left Blarwood, right Amur, left Stone Pass, cross Independence, go through gate to Buffalo Pass, left Jones, right Packsaddle Pass, right Redd, to Banister.  This route is sketchy at Jones, but a pleasant route otherwise.
Ride on,
Chuck

#3 2010-09-14 09:23:45

Chuck_McNeil

Re: Breakthrough for commuters who live between 290/71 in Oak Hill

Oh you turn on Woodcreek.  Take Woodcreek to right on 1 Oak Rd. to right on Brush Country Rd.  Brush Country becomes Latta after going under MoPac.  Then turn left on Islander and take Bike Route #82.

Last edited by Chuck_McNeil (2010-09-14 09:24:53)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 530.91 KiB (Peak: 531.54 KiB) ]