#1 2008-06-09 14:33:50

chavela

What stuff do you haul?

Someone pointed out this cartoon http://yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-03-17 which makes me wonder--what is the stuff that people carry that --probably--others don't.  I see a picture of a "commuting bike" that doesn't even have a rack, and that sure makes me laugh, thinking of all the junk I carry.

Things I take along in my panniers: (besides the usual patch kit, tube, pump, lights) a small first aid kit including a small jacknife, a fold up plastic raincoat, a visor to add to my helmet if it is really pouring rain, sunglasses, an extra sweatband for my brow... and the one thing I missed as soon as I offloaded it was some extra bungy cords.

Elizabeth Gray

#2 2008-06-09 16:50:39

Pedal Pusher

Re: What stuff do you haul?

Hmm, Well, besides the usual (tools, tube, pump, patch kit, lights) I carry my wallet, my cell phone, my checkbook, palm pilot, street clothes on weekdays, sunglasses, usually a book or magazine in there too.  Never thought of a first aid kit.  Come to think of it, I skinned my knee on something on my bike doing a strange little dance to keep from falling over Saturday (when I suddenly and unexpectedly hit a deep pile of loose gravel on Steck) which makes me think I probably should add a little first aid kit. 

If I'm going to my decorative art class, they have paint brushes, paint, and other painting supplies in them. 

I do my grocery shopping on the way home from work on weekdays so of course frequently groceries are in my bags and insulated trunk bag.   (It's nice to see other cyclists at the H.E.B. at the Hancock center loading their pannier's with groceries)  And on weekends when I commute to and from the laundromat, my bags are filled with either dirty or clean laundry depending upon whether I am coming or going.

When I retire in a couple years, I want to do some touring so I figure I might as well load my bike up commuting and get used to carrying at least a little bit of a load in the meantime.

Meanwhile, the roadies just keep whizzing right past me just like Joe does yehuda moon.  I was waiting at a light one day last week and this "roadie" rode up and stopped to wait for the light on the right side of me.  I was going to go straight and it was obvious he was going left, but he told me not to worry because when the light changed, he would be "long gone" before I even got off to a start.  I guess my pannier bags, trunk bag, and front bag, bicycle with fenders etc. gave me away.

I too miss my bungies.  I lost them and need to replace them. I think there should be a special place in heaven for whoever invented bungies and velcro.

#3 2008-06-10 12:57:55

Jason
Website

Lately due to the heat I've been going super minimal, just carrying what I need on my person or strapped to my bike.

On my bike: Front and rear light, frame pump, under-seat bag with tube, patch kit, tire lever, and a few spare links of chain.

In my pockets: Wallet, phone, multi-tool, keys (with 15mm wrench on the ring), mp3 player, smokes, lighter, change, work badge, and a handkerchief on my wrist for wiping sweat/grime.

On my belt: Mini-U lock, spare shirt.

Otherwise if I have my messenger bag the majority of what would be in my pockets goes in it, plus I'll also have an adjustable wrench, a bunch of zip-ties, some spare batteries, a couple bucks and change for busses and phones, a spare handkerchief, notebook, pens, and a small hand-pump.

I also have a rack, panniers and a cannondale trailer. Depending on what I'm moving or picking up (groceries, bike parts, a computer, etc.) I'll add them to my bike as needed.

#4 2008-06-10 20:26:22

Adriel

I carry a spare foldable tire (I had a tire get completely hosed on me before, even a boot wouldnt help), a tube/patch kit, a pump (One with a hose and psi gauge) some snacks, my bike lock, some wrenches, a spoke wrench, my wallet, etc. my laptop when I am working, and sometimes a spare change of clothes.

I have two panniers and a trunk bag.  They add a few lbs, but I cant stand anything touching my back when I am sweating, and I like having the stuff.  My bike feels more like a vehicle with the storage, and less like a piece of sporting equipment. 

For really tough hauls I have a trek kid trailer.

I have never broken a chain, but maybe I should keep some links and a chain tool also.

#5 2008-06-11 22:53:10

ggw
Website

20080610haul039.jpg
1 saddlebag to carry it all (Bike Sport shop)
2 plastic bag to protect (or protect against) stuff
3 bungee cord to as a 2 class lever to keep bag off of derailleur (Breed & Co.)
4 shallow plastic box most of the small stuff (The Container Store)
5 trusty pump (Freewheeling Bike Shop)
6 healthy wood like food... just in case (Wheatsville)
7 various instructions (volleyball rules, odometer ref, ...)
8 backup batteries for tail light, headlight, and my camera (Radio Shack)
9 headlight (has its own recharger (from Waterloo Cycles)
10 friction tape against the time I get too sweaty to rotate gear changer (Breed & Co.)
11 back tire tube (EasyStreet Recumbents)
12 poncho / groundcloth (Academy Surplus)
13 front tire tube (EasyStreet Recumbents)
14 chemical source of heat for feet during volleyball (Academy Surplus) (I guess its not winter anymore.)
15 Bell helmet. Yes. Bell helmet. I've never hit my head on anything in 30 years.
16 Cell phone contributed by part time boss who needs help occasionally, but desperately.
17 chap stick (for both summer and winter)
18 cable and lock
19 metal, springy, pants clip (EasyStreet Recumbents)
20 Sigma Sports BC500 odometer (EasyStreet Recumbents)
21 dark glasses + case
22 Huge key fob (Tired of losing keys in the turf.)
23 Genuine Crescent 6" adjustable wrench (Breed & Co.)
24 Contact lense lubricant (volleyball or when needed- hardly ever) (Walgreens)
25 Hex head Allen wrenches for *every* screw on my recumbent
26 Tube changing tools (Freewheeling)
27 Emergency, non prescription dark glasses (John Vehko)
28 Pants to wear at work (Lands End)
29 Multi use towel: dry off at work, ground cloth during volleyball, etc.
30 Shirt to wear at work         
xx lunch, sacked and packed

Last edited by ggw (2008-06-15 14:43:12)

#6 2008-06-12 12:22:45

Tower of Pedal

Adriel wrote:

I cant stand anything touching my back when I am sweating,

en serio, guey. i need to get on buying a trailer and some panniers or something because there is nothing quite as unpleasant as the thermal discomfort I experience with a giant wet patch on my back, and two lines from the shoulders down. It's such an uncomfortable juxtaposition of heat and cold. I used to have an underseat bag, but I grew tired of getting my tools stolen or having to carry it around. Taking off my lights when I leave the bike somewhere is one thing, but a bag is just one more thing to carry around / lose / forget.

I can usually fit all the basics in my fanny pack along with my smokes, wallet, etc...: tube, spanners (annoyingly necessary for fixing flats on my eccentric hub.), allen wrenches, and some chain. Add anything extra, however, and it's the sweatmaster style with the backpack. anyone got any reccomendations for some sort of (preferably easily removable) type thingy I could get to help solve my conundrum?

Last edited by Tower of Pedal (2008-06-12 12:25:35)

#7 2008-09-04 17:34:45

bikinpolitico
Website

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article about accessories for transportation biking here: http://austinbikeblog.org/?p=211

#8 2009-06-15 03:37:42

tourtravis

I usually carry a lot of stuff with me. I can't go out of the house without cell phone, netbook, a bottle of water, additional clothes like hat or jacket. Recently I got myself a fine notebook case that could hold lot of other things like phone, MP3 player and similar devices. The reason for it was the protection issue, I was afraid that the notebook could get damaged if I carry it in my usual bike bag.

#9 2009-06-15 10:01:48

ggw
Website

@e.g.
I was a subscriber to yehudamoon. Sorry to see Mr.Smith not pass off idea/membership to another cartoonist. I don't know if there is a trend (with the economic down turn?) about internet cartoonists with dailys calling it quits. I don't follow (& pay) for that many, but 3/4ths of them have cut-back (or quit, like yehudamoon) in 2009.

chavela wrote:

Someone pointed out this cartoon http://yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-03-17 which makes me wonder--what is the stuff that people carry that --probably--others don't.  I see a picture of a "commuting bike" that doesn't even have a rack, and that sure makes me laugh, thinking of all the junk I carry.

Things I take along in my panniers: (besides the usual patch kit, tube, pump, lights) a small first aid kit including a small jacknife, a fold up plastic raincoat, a visor to add to my helmet if it is really pouring rain, sunglasses, an extra sweatband for my brow... and the one thing I missed as soon as I offloaded it was some extra bungy cords.

Elizabeth Gray

The only thing changed in my "list of 30+" commuting haul is for summer I dropped #12 the rain poncho, #14 the chemical warmer. I also dropped #16 because the "job" suggesting I should have it handy went away. On the bright side, #15 is getting replaced by a bright, new, light blue helment from Waterloo Cycles.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 572.52 KiB (Peak: 588.01 KiB) ]