#1 2009-06-10 17:33:52

lluciano

Stolen Bikes being sold in alley near Capitol

Just heard from some UT law students that there is a woman that hangs around near the Capitol, approaching young people asking them if they want to buy a bike.  If they show interest, they are led to the alley (I'm assuming by 9th street), and shown a bike for sale for $20.00.  Have any of you heard of this?  Clearly it's the area where most bikes are stolen.  I'm trying to get more info.

#2 2009-06-11 11:17:09

Jason
Website

Re: Stolen Bikes being sold in alley near Capitol

There are also a couple other places on the east side that sell stolen bikes. Another spot that seems popular are flea markets in other cities. To illustrate this point, a friend of a friend went down to San Antonio and purchased a very nice bike at a flea market down there at WELL below market value, and it happened to have a sticker from a local shop on it. He brought the bike by the shop and sure enough, they were able to confirm his suspicions that it was stolen! Crazy. We should speak more Leslie. Something needs to be done about the rampant bike theft in this town, and soon before it gets even more out-of-hand. This isn't New York, and I don't want to have to lock my seat and wheels EVERY time I stop for coffee.

#3 2010-02-28 10:32:09

InvisibleRobot

Re: Stolen Bikes being sold in alley near Capitol

id been to a flea market a while back and saw some bikes that looked nice enough that i dont think someone would just donate em

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 528.15 KiB (Peak: 528.77 KiB) ]