#1 2012-01-07 20:07:57

bizikletari

to stop or to not stop

Reading this http://www.austin360.com/recreation/blo … tml?page=2
I thought of this:

10 reasons for not stopping at a stop sign

1. It is the sensible way to negotiate a stop sign controlled intersection when there is no traffic. Period.

2. It is the law, yes; but sometimes the law is wrong. Think.

3. If what you need is respect from people in cars? Follow rules thought for cars; otherwise think, and act as a thinking cyclist.

4. You're a good rider. You can spot potential dangers at an intersection without stopping and roll or stop according to the situation.

5. Future generations of cyclists are watching you. Help parents who are teaching their children to discriminate danger and choose appropiately.

6. Every time you maneuver your bike at slow speeds and every time you are ready to stop or not, you deepen your relationship with your bike. You know precisely how to control the bike and when you need to put your foot down or not. Eventually, your body does all of these things so naturally that you can focus your attention on the conditions of the intersection and choose your actions seamlessly. That is safer for you and for everyone else on the road.

7. Mind Fitness. Once you're ready to decide when it is safe to roll a stop, you'll be surprised at how quickly your mind is ready to decide at cruising speed. That little burn in your brain is what getting smarter feels like.

8. Being a discerning human being is cool, especially in a group.

9. Get dozed off less.

10. When he's not racing, (professional cyclist) Mark Cavendish stops at stops signs when driving a car. Juanjo Cobo (Tour de France winner) uses his intelligence to decide riding actions.

#2 2012-01-09 13:09:57

dougmc
Administrator

Re: to stop or to not stop

When the title of the article says "blowing through an intersection" -- it's pretty clear they're probably not looking for a balanced discussion on the matter.

#3 2012-01-10 14:31:07

damicoaustin
Website

Re: to stop or to not stop

Regarding: "Brian Buckmaster says he generally stops at red lights and stop signs. But some lights are controlled with induction loops buried in the pavement, he notes, and if his bike doesn't trigger them, he'll proceed against the light when there is no cross traffic."

Indeed, I'm with Brian on this one. I'm just not going to get off my bike and walk up on the curb to hit the dumb button. Especially after I've already missed one long light cycle.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.73 KiB (Peak: 533.36 KiB) ]