#1 2011-12-18 16:12:05

Donald Lewis

To the Shoal Creek jogger in the bike lane...

If you can't manage your two large dogs please use the perfectly good sidewalk. Your two large dogs almost took out my riding buddy when they charged across the bike lane stretching their leashes tight directly in front of him.

Here's an offer: if you will at least yield to bikes in the bike lane and put your dogs on shorter leashes, I promise to always yield, or if need be stop, as a common courtesy to all pedestrian traffic if hostile street conditions force me to ride on the sidewalk. That offer is very easy for me to make because that's how I ride anyway, and I prefer the street in almost every situation.

I have no grudge against joggers in general and might be one myself if I didn't have 65 year old knees that prefer cycling. So no offense intended towards those for whom the shoe does not fit.

Yes, there are lots of inconsiderate cyclists, just as there are motorists and pedestrians. I used to drive on Mopac often at 2:30 Sunday AM and I swear I am the only sober driver on the road. I stay away from the 6th St. area at night because it is annoying to sit in my car and watch my green light cycle to red while I am blocked by a solid wall of drunken jaywalking pedestrians. But its not about collective blame or contempt. I get along great with the overwhelming majority of motorists and pedestrians in the overwhelming majority of situations and I ride my bike all over Austin -- about 100 miles/wk. Each of us is responsible for his/her own actions -- no more no less.

Peace to my brothers and sisters, and thanks: Don

Posted on http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/ -- I know its "preaching to the choir" here.

#2 2011-12-19 09:33:17

taylor

Re: To the Shoal Creek jogger in the bike lane...

I don't believe Shoal Creek Blvd is a bike lane.

#3 2011-12-19 13:07:40

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Sure it's a bike lane.  The city simply isn't *calling* it a bike lane, so they can deny that they allow parking in bike lanes.

#4 2011-12-19 14:04:58

bizikletari

The concept comes from the "phantom"  lanes that cyclists—and motorists—ride over on when there is a long stretch of empty parking spots.
So much for re-engineering.

#5 2011-12-19 15:56:29

timdiller

Yes, this is the beloved "improved shoulder" on SCB, to be shared by parked cars and bikes. With some frequency, I encounter black-clad joggers in this improved shoulder, running against traffic, at night. Yikes!
The other phantom menace on SCB is the stretch of chewed-up pavement between 45th and around 47th. The bike lane is nearly unusable there, and the absence of parked cars on the shoulder means that cars driving in the main lanes aren't expecting bikes to take the lane. The presence of the stop sign assures a pretty steady pace of northbound cars. I travel the length of the Shoal Creek trail from 5th to Greenlawn, and I find that stretch to be the most nerve-wracking.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.8 KiB (Peak: 537.42 KiB) ]