#1 2011-05-21 14:11:23

CCAndrews60

Volente - Lime Creek Rd Accident Sat 05/21/11

Dear sir in convertible Silver BMW Z4

You ran my cycling husband off the road with your out of control driving this morning on Lime Creek Road. Thankfully he is still alive. He is in the emergency room right now and I would appreciate it if you would tell me where I shall send the doctors' bills.

Gray headed guy in his 60's. Top down with passenger. Heading towards lake (coming from Anderson Mill road) 10am this morning.  Swerved into oncoming lane and ran husband off the road causing serious crash.  Anyone know this person or sees this car in the area I would appreciate an email. The man didn't even have the decency to stop and render aid. Fortunately another biker called (and was witness!)

#2 2011-06-13 13:25:05

jamesmllaw

Re: Volente - Lime Creek Rd Accident Sat 05/21/11

If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to call. I am a local Austin cyclist & attorney who represents people injured like your husband. I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post here (for my info) but my number is 686-3107 and e-mail james \at\ jwoodlegal.com

#3 2011-06-14 01:02:37

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

What could you (or any lawyer) possibly do to help a cyclist run off the road by an unknown motorist?

#4 2011-07-11 12:08:08

jamesmllaw

Good question - surprising answer:

If you were hit by a car (even though you were on a bike), you were involved in an auto accident. Therefore, your auto insurance will cover you for injuries just as if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident while driving your vehicle. The only catch here is that you must have carried uninsured motorist coverage--which is required by law (and most of us have it--only some people sign a waiver to get those $39/month low coverage premiums)--and the disappearing vehicle must have actually struck you or your bike (not just forced you off the road, for example). 

I think it's kind of surprising and unknown to most cyclists that you can use your auto insurance to cover you in a bike wreck--even when the person hit-and-ran.

Hopefully this helps answer your question above and helps hit-and-run victims in the future.

James Wood :: Attorney at Law
686-3107

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 532.19 KiB (Peak: 532.81 KiB) ]