#1 2010-07-08 11:01:38

john the blasphemer

Looking for trailer suggestions

I'm seriously considering buying a bicycle trailer so I can better haul groceries and things around.  I have looked at the websites for several different brands, but what I really want is to hear from people who have towed trailers.   It seems to me that one basic design difference is the number of wheels. I image that two wheeled trailers handle differently than one wheeled trailers.

Does anyone have suggestions, recommendations, or warnings?  These things are expensive enough, even on ebay or craigslist, that I want to try and get the best type for me.

thanks,

john

#2 2010-07-08 11:33:19

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Looking for trailer suggestions

I've got a Bob Yak (single wheel) ... it's pretty nice, easy to ride with.  The mounting system is simple and effective and easy to put on and off.

I've also used the various two wheel trailers used to carry kids.  They slow you down more (even if empty) and the ones I've used have not connected to your bike anywhere near as nicely as the Yak.  (In fact, I even had one mounting setup screw up and go into my spokes ruining a few of them.)

But on the other hand, they're readily available on craigslist for cheap, all the time.  Keep watching -- you'll find them from time to time at $30.  And they typically have covers that are nice in the rain and such.

For groceries and a short trip, I take the two wheel kid's trailer.  If I was touring, I'd use the Yak.

#3 2010-07-09 09:08:48

CharlesDuffy

john the blasphemer wrote:

I'm seriously considering buying a bicycle trailer so I can better haul groceries and things around.  I have looked at the websites for several different brands, but what I really want is to hear from people who have towed trailers.   It seems to me that one basic design difference is the number of wheels. I image that two wheeled trailers handle differently than one wheeled trailers.

Does anyone have suggestions, recommendations, or warnings?  These things are expensive enough, even on ebay or craigslist, that I want to try and get the best type for me.

thanks,

john

I have a large CycleTote. It was expensive, but is big enough for Costco hauls or carrying the German Shepherd, and has an independent braking system. The frame has a no-questions-asked no-exceptions lifetime warranty, and the company has been good to work with so far. Also, it uses full-sized wheels, so you don't need to carry separate tubes.

If you want to borrow it some time to give it a run, drop me an email; charles at dyfis dot net.

#4 2010-07-09 09:11:02

plarson

If you get a two-wheeled trailer, make sure it has the bars that guard the wheels. They should wrap completely around it. That way you can get through tight spaces without the wheels catching in trees, fence posts, etc. Burley is a good brand, but they've made some without the guards.

#5 2010-07-09 09:57:34

Lynn

I have a flatbed that I use for groceries and general hauling. I really like the flexibility of a flatbed combined with bungee cords. I purchased mine cheap on Craigslist and fixed it up; I have some photos on my blog here: http://titianknitter.wordpress.com/2010 … ler-rehab/.

In the end, I don't think that buying a cheap trailer and fixing it up saved any money over buying something new, or used in good condition, would have been. However, I got exactly what I wanted and I enjoyed the project.

I definitely notice a difference in how the bike handles when I tow. There is a little resistance against leaning into turns. However, when I'm hauling, I'm not generally concerned with speed or cutting sharp corners, so it's OK. I don't pedal any harder; I just use a lower gear. My experience has been that cars give me lots more room than normal when I'm towing.

If you think that you will haul lots of heavy stuff, you might look into how much of a load your rear wheel and tire will handle. Also note that it's much easier to hitch the trailer to the bike when the trailer is *empty!* Attach first, then load.

#6 2010-07-09 10:00:13

BikeATX

I second the Bob Yak... one wheel is simply easier to ride with.
But, I have been salivating on this new Burley Travoy trailer:
http://www.burley.com/products/cargo-ut … travoy.cfm

I'd love to rock into a store, load up, wheel it back to the bike and go.
It looks like it has a great little connection system too.

Anyone used one of these... or seen it out in the wild?
I'm going to Eurobike/Interbike in September and going to try and schmooze a deal... I'll report back if I see one in my travels to bike events this fall.

#7 2010-07-10 00:25:03

Ted

John (and salivating BikeATX)

I'll be passing through Austin this weekend with a Burley Travoy, hoping to find out how an Austin cyclist might react to it.

Seriously.  If you'd like to take a close look, we can figure something out.

Here's an article I wrote on the Travoy recently:
http://www.biketrailerblog.com/2010/07/ … ey-travoy/

Here's a post I wrote mentioning my trip to Austin:
http://www.utilitycycling.org/2010/07/a … ity-award/

I brought the transit bags with me, but not the market bags (http://www.biketrailershop.com/burley-a … c-235.html).

Personally, I think it's a great trailer.  Would have been perfect for me when I lived a more urban and single lifestyle--the kind of lifestyle where you only need to carry two or three bags of groceries at a time.

#8 2010-07-14 14:12:50

john the blasphemer

Great.  Thank you all for the ideas and advice.  I'll probably hold out for a bob yak since I might like to use it on longer tour rides as well.

#9 2010-07-14 16:24:47

Ted

I'll probably hold out for a bob yak since I might like to use it on longer tour rides as well.

If you already have an investment in panniers, you might check out the Extrawheel. They're particularly good if you are doing mountain biking, because the use a larger wheel (a de facto spare front wheel) which tracks closely to your rear wheel, and goes over obstacles more easily than other single-wheel trailers:
http://www.biketrailerblog.com/2009/12/ … -trailers/

BTW: I had a fun three days in Austin.  I'll be writing about it on Utility Cycling (http://www.utilitycycling.org)

The Travoy remained behind with my friends in Austin.  You may see it in action around town.

I hope to return to Austin soon.

#10 2010-09-23 17:12:03

seth
Website

I'm seriously considering buying a bicycle trailer so I can better haul groceries and things around.

john

I just came across this thread and thought I'd throw in my observations.

Looking at the Burley Travoy linked to by someone earlier, that looks like an EXCELLENT choice for groceries and errands. The design lends itself to you bringing the cart into a store with you. This is a fantastic concept.

I sing those praises of that trailer, which I don't own, because it contrasts sharply with the trailer I do own.

Several years ago I bought a BOB trailer with a plastic cargo container. Installed it on my mountain bike, which has an aluminum frame. The payload capacity is not very large. It doesn't do well with an ice chest, for instance. During turns, it wants to tip over or drag on the ground when loaded heavy. I can also feel it exerting significant torque to my bike's frame.

Parking a bike with a BOB trailer at the grocery store is not very convenient. You have to really secure your bike so the whole shebang doesn't fall over. You also don't want to have to back the the thing up far because you'll jack knife for sure.

The Burley Travoy design looks to skip all this mess because the cart comes off and into the store with you. This pays dividends because you pack your groceries on the cart in the store (once), and don't have to spend time packing them when you get back outside to your bike. And when you get home, I bet that cart comes right into the kitchen to unload.

Anyone want to trade a Burley Travoy for a lightly-used BOB trailer?

Seth

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 572.63 KiB (Peak: 588.13 KiB) ]