#1 2008-07-03 15:49:13

Jason
Website

Cyclist strikes pedestrian; pedestrian in critical condition.

My wife just notified me of this article:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ … st_in.html

Late yesterday evening a cyclist struck a pedestrian who stepped into their path. The pedestrian is in critical condition at Brackenridge. There's no news on the cyclist, or any other details on the collision. No names were released either. If anyone has any news on a cyclist friend who hit someone and wouldn't mind passing it along, I'd appreciate it.

#2 2008-07-03 19:59:00

tomwald

Re: Cyclist strikes pedestrian; pedestrian in critical condition.

I contacted the American-Statesman reporter about this.  I hope to hear back with further information.

If anyone else gets any further information, please report it here.

a cyclist struck a pedestrian who stepped into their path

Though the American-Statesman reports the incident this way, it has probably not been confirmed that the pedestrian stepped into the path of the bicyclist.  The American-Statesman often gives an impression (frankly, they state it unambiguously) of the nature of the collision that indicates that the person of lesser vehicular power was at fault, but really all they portend to be getting across is that the two collided -- nothing else.

The bicyclist who died on US 290 (north Austin) a year or two ago was said by the local media to have collided with a car, when actually the opposite was true.

#3 2008-07-03 20:33:51

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Cyclist strikes pedestrian; pedestrian in critical condition.

On jason's atxbs.com site at  http://atxbs.com/?q=node/276#comments there's this comment --

Submitted by nfox on Thu, 07/03/2008 - 3:10pm.

the cyclist is a friend of mine and he called me right after it happened.His bike is totaled as is his helmet. He also sustained a very serious injury to his shoulder and arm.

the guy literally stepped out of nowhere while my friend was obeying all traffic laws.

i dont know anyone who hasn't jaywalked, and i would never ever ever suggest the guy "deserved this". it's a terrible accident and i hope the guy pulls through.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 531.66 KiB (Peak: 532.28 KiB) ]