#1 2010-05-13 10:01:21

FMGCrossCheck

Re-Building a Bike after Car Accident

I was hit by a car on March 1st and my frame was bent. I was thinking about buying the same frame and moving my parts off the bent bike to the new frame. How much does is cost to pay someone to do that? I have no idea how to build bikes so I don't want to do it on my own. I have a 2009 Surly Cross Check

thanks!

#2 2010-05-13 10:44:04

FMGCrossCheck

Re: Re-Building a Bike after Car Accident

I forgot to mention my friend is a welder and offered to straighthen out my bike. Is thaty safe?

#3 2010-05-14 09:21:48

rickb

Fixing a bent steel frame is possible but I recommend using someone who is experienced at frame repair/construction.  It will very likely need repainting afterwards.
Transferring parts to a new frame is quite practical.  I'm not sure how expensive the labor could be, probably below $200, but that's a guess.  You should replace the cables, and maybe the chain.
JensonUSA.com has 08-09 Surly Crosscheck frames for $420.

Last edited by rickb (2010-05-14 09:22:24)

#4 2010-05-14 09:25:43

bikinpolitico
Website

If you want your frame repaired, DO NOT have your friend do it unless he/she is a frame builder. Not only does the person repairing the bike need experience in understanding the loads on the frame and if the repair can make it safe to ride, a frame builder will also make sure the frame is back in proper alignment. Someone who is a welder will probably not know how to do that and you could get left with a frame that pulls to a direction or gives you the death shimmy at high speeds.

The Surly Cross Check is a steel frame so it is possible that it is repairable (for the curious reading this, in general aluminum and carbon frames are not repairable after crashes and should be replaced.) I am a frame builder, but I don't really do repairs. I'd recommend Jame Flatman at Alchemy Bicycles: http://alchemybicycles.com/contact. He's an excellent frame builder, and the person I refer repair inquiries to. Take your frame to him, and he'll tell you if it's repairable and how much it will cost. Then you can determine if you want to repair or replace.

#5 2010-05-14 09:52:58

bizikletari

Re-straightening a frame is considered unsafe and you should not risk your health and probably your life to save some money.
If you need help getting a new bike tou can go to Yellow Bike (www.austinyellowbike.org) for an unexpensive one.
If you buy a new frame you could also go to Yellow Bike and you can transfer your parts to the new frame for FREE with the assistance of the volunteers there.

#6 2010-05-14 17:13:58

vattiat

In my humble opinion, your cheapest and safest choice is to buy a new, identical replacement frame.  Fixing your old frame is asking for a accident.  Buying a non-identical frame will almost certainly lead to buying many new parts (since it is unlikely a different frame will accept all the parts from your Surly).  Building up a yellowbike would be very low-cost and educational but it won't be an '09 crosscheck!

Swapping parts from old frame to new frame should be quite easy.  If you're convenient to the East Chavez neighborhood, I'm sure I can help you out on a weekend afternoon. -Brian

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.61 KiB (Peak: 536.23 KiB) ]