#1 2009-06-17 19:46:12

tomwald

"Man charged with hitting cyclist on service road"

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/ … b53b1.html

Man charged with hitting cyclist on service road
04:27 PM CDT on Tuesday, June 9, 2009
KVUE News

An Austin man has been charged with failure to stop and render aid after a witness says he ran over a bicyclist Sunday night in Northeast Austin.

A witness told police she was behind a pickup truck driven by Jorge Rojas-Hernandez, 34, when she saw a violent crash on the Interstate 35 service road between Braker and Parmer.

The witness called 911 after seeing a man lying in the roadway with serious injuries. Hernandez was arrested a short time later.

The bicyclist -- Theodore Arias -- is in critical condition with a lacerated liver and numerous broken bones.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/loc … st_on_I_35

Man Arrested for Hitting Cyclist on I-35
Updated: Tuesday, 09 Jun 2009, 5:53 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 09 Jun 2009, 5:53 PM CDT

Austin Police have arrested and charged Jorge Hernandez with failure to stop and render aid after they say he hit a cyclist on I-35 near Yager Lane Sunday night. Another driver behind Handez told police she witnessed the collision and began following him.

According to the arrest affidavit, the witness followed Hernandez until she made eye contact with him and became scared for the safety of herself and her baby.

Police later arrested Hernadez and say he appeared to be intoxicated. The cyclist was transported to Brackenridge Hospital with critical injuries.

#2 2009-06-18 13:19:00

rickb

Re: "Man charged with hitting cyclist on service road"

That's a nasty accident all right. 
While it shouldn't have happened, and I don't mean to infer the cyclist asked for it (not at all), but the I-35 access road between Parmer and Braker is quite unsafe for bicyclists.   It's been "improved" to enable faster traffic flow. Vehicle speeds are way too high at 55+, it's narrow, and there's no curb lane.  I used to ride that stretch 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.013 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 528.19 KiB (Peak: 533.39 KiB) ]