You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 02:57:57

tomwald
Moderator
From: 78722
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 290

"Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ … wn_ac.html

Cyclist injured in downtown accident

Friday, May 22, 2009, 11:47 AM

A cyclist received critical injuries late Thursday after colliding with a car in downtown Austin, police said.

Officials said the crash happened at the intersection of Fifth and Nueces streets at about 10:14 p.m. The cyclist, a 22-year-old man, was heading south on Nueces Street and collided with the car, which was eastbound on Fifth Street. Police said witnesses reported that the cyclist appeared to run a stoplight.

The cyclist was taken to University Medical Center at Brackenridge.

Blog entry here:
http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ … _by_c.html
... which includes some eyewitness accounts.

There is some news here: http://atxbs.com/?q=node/1176
... that the collision has turned fatal.

Offline

#2 2009-05-26 13:46:03

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

The shattered glass and no-doubt shattered psyche of the motorist who killed this guy by just driving through a green light are testimony to the fact that the red-light runners out there DON'T only hurt (or kill) themselves.

Offline

#3 2009-05-27 11:51:43

seth
Member
From: Austin, TX (Hyde Park)
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 53
Website

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

m1ek wrote:

The shattered glass and no-doubt shattered psyche of the motorist who killed this guy by just driving through a green light are testimony to the fact that the red-light runners out there DON'T only hurt (or kill) themselves.

Great example of either [insult deleted] or a failure to detect subtleties within news stories.

Seth

Last edited by MichaelBluejay (2009-05-29 10:08:36)

Offline

#4 2009-05-27 15:41:29

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

"Witnesses say a cyclist who collided with a car in downtown Austin last night ran a red light."

Not very subtle.

Offline

#5 2009-05-27 23:40:22

dougmc
Administrator
Registered: 2008-06-01
Posts: 595

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

The moral of the story?  Don't run red lights, you might upset some guy in a car.  Thanks m1ek!

On the bright side, it would appear that reports of the person's death may have been exaggerated.  APD has reported that the person is in serious condition but still alive.  http://www.atxbs.com/?q=node/1176

Offline

#6 2009-05-28 09:21:00

mushmash
Member
Registered: 2009-05-28
Posts: 1

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

It is good to hear that the rider is still alive. 

I would propose that one moral to this story is that cycling safely is our responsibility to the community that includes ALL other travelers and road users. There is no virtue in riding irresponsibly on a public road. 

As a long-time bicycle commuter myself (circa 1972), when on my daily commute into downtown from the west side (by bike, car or motorcycle), I carefully watch all traffic, but really notice the bicyclists.  Probably because I am a bicyclist. 

Especially in the downtown area, I am amazed at the rudeness or ignorance of many (not all) cyclists: cutting in traffic (improper lane use), running lights and stop signs, riding on the sidewalks on prohibited streets, failure to yield to pedestrians, failure to signal, riding the wrong way...wow.

As a road traveler, I would like to expect a fairly degree of predictability and compliance from the other road users. Something to consider and discuss with your traveling friends.

My 2 ¢, worth price charged....

Offline

#7 2009-05-28 09:45:19

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

"The moral of the story?  Don't run red lights, you might upset some guy in a car.  Thanks m1ek!"

I suppose the guy whose windshield is shattered and who probably is worried he killed the guy should just suck it up and take one for the team, so you can continue to live in your [insults deleted] where cyclists never cause anybody else any injury or pain. Thanks, doug!

Last edited by MichaelBluejay (2009-05-29 10:08:12)

Offline

#8 2009-05-28 10:14:51

damicoaustin
Member
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 143
Website

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

Mike is right on the fact that bicyclist can injure people (either physically, emotionally or with property damage). But these ocurrances are pretty rare.

Just for fun, though, I've been counting how many times cars blow through a red at Hartford and Enfield in the mornings as I wait at the light on the bike. Since last week, EVERY time/day for 7 days so far....

Offline

#9 2009-05-28 11:24:36

tomwald
Moderator
From: 78722
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 290

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ … _stil.html

Cyclist hit last Thursday still alive

By Pamela LeBlanc | Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 03:57 PM

I've gotten several calls and emails from folks who think the 22-year-old cyclist who hit a car in downtown Austin last Thursday night has died.

He's still alive, according to Austin Police on Wednesday. They are not releasing the injured cyclist's name.

Witnesses said the cyclist ran a light and collided with a vehicle at the intersection of Fifth and Nueces streets. He was taken to University Medical Center at Brackenridge.

Folks, it's important to obey traffic laws.

A motorist who runs a light and crashes might not get injured. Chances are a cyclist who does the same will.

Ignoring traffic laws also turns otherwise understanding motorists into anti-cyclist rabble rousers.

I know, I know. Motorists disobey laws too. It doesn't matter. Let's do what we can to promote good cyclist-motorist relations.

And best wishes to the injured cyclist.

Offline

#10 2009-05-28 14:57:04

seth
Member
From: Austin, TX (Hyde Park)
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 53
Website

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

m1ek wrote:

"Witnesses say a cyclist who collided with a car in downtown Austin last night ran a red light."

Not very subtle.

I was commenting on your exaggeration of the cyclist's injuries. You inserted the word 'kill' where the original article and even this thread used the word 'injured.'

But hey, it's just like some facts. No need to take note. Please do continue with your agenda.

Seth

Offline

#11 2009-05-28 15:36:20

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

damicoaustin wrote:

Mike is right on the fact that bicyclist can injure people (either physically, emotionally or with property damage). But these ocurrances are pretty rare.

Just for fun, though, I've been counting how many times cars blow through a red at Hartford and Enfield in the mornings as I wait at the light on the bike. Since last week, EVERY time/day for 7 days so far....

Without distinguishing between the "cars that catch the beginning of the red" ("running the orange") and the other kind, this is absolutely meaningless, as both cars and bikes run the orange in roughly equal proportions.

But you knew that, of course.

Offline

#12 2009-05-28 15:37:24

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

seth wrote:
m1ek wrote:

"Witnesses say a cyclist who collided with a car in downtown Austin last night ran a red light."

Not very subtle.

I was commenting on your exaggeration of the cyclist's injuries. You inserted the word 'kill' where the original article and even this thread used the word 'injured.'

But hey, it's just like some facts. No need to take note. Please do continue with your agenda.

Seth

Dear [insult deleted]:

When I made my original post, the article did, in fact, say the cyclist had been killed.

Last edited by MichaelBluejay (2009-05-29 10:09:22)

Offline

#13 2009-05-29 10:10:57

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2008-05-26
Posts: 1,339
Website

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

As a reminder, rule #1 for this forum is "No abuse of other members."  It's okay to disagree passionately, but let's not resort to name-calling.  Thanks.

Offline

#14 2009-05-29 13:33:38

m1ek
Member
Registered: 2008-06-02
Posts: 153

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

Apologies. As on the email list; one can be as much of an [insult refrained] as one wants as long as one is defending red-light runners, apparently, but heaven forbid you should try to defend yourself.

Offline

#15 2009-05-30 08:56:54

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2008-05-26
Posts: 1,339
Website

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

No, m1ek, that's not true, and I don't appreciate your rude charge of selective enforcement.  Insults are not appropriate on either the email list or the web forum, no matter what the topic.  If you think there are cases where action wasn't taken against abusers (the archives are available), let me know, privately.  Public discussion of admin issues ends here.

Offline

#16 2009-07-01 15:27:58

tomwald
Moderator
From: 78722
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 290

Re: "Cyclist injured in downtown accident" at 5th & Nueces

New information has been posted at:
"Unknown Cyclist struck at 5th and Nueces identified, and is recovering"
http://atxbs.com/?q=node/1862

Offline

Board footer