#1 2024-07-05 12:03:32

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website
MacintoshSafari 16.6

Speeding doesn't affect anyone?!

Comment on Nextdoor:

Krissy Morrow wrote:

I may go ten [mph] over on the interstate but that doesn't affect anyone.

And that right there crystalizes the problem: the widespread idea that "my actions don't affect others".

I pointed out that speeding DOES affect others:  stopping times are increased, crashes are more likely, crashes are deadlier.

I note that the poster, Krissy Morrow, was the same person who blamed Critical Mass cyclists [in a letter to the Chronicle] after another driver accidentally crashed into Morrow's car, as a result of the second driver's road rage against CM.

#2 2024-07-05 15:54:58

chavela
Windows 10Chrome 126.0

Re: Speeding doesn't affect anyone?!

Your post reminded me I have something apropos to share. 
On Fire Departments
Long untouchable, fire departments are causing death and homelessness in American cities by advocating for bad policies
https://www.thesisdriven.com/p/on-fire-departments

This article is unfortunately VERY correct in its analysis of how we design cities around fire apparatus (wide roads that encourage speeding and kill people) instead of designing fire apparatus around cities and people. 

As a 20-year (now retired) employee of the Austin Fire Department, I can confirm the truth of this article, and more.

I just returned from 5 weeks in Spain (my husband's family all lives there) and part of my culture shock upon returning was really seeing how WIDE the streets are how, and how FAST everyone goes.

Chavela

#3 2024-07-05 19:26:18

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website
MacintoshSafari 16.6

Re: Speeding doesn't affect anyone?!

Wow, that was an eye-opening article, chavela.  Thank you for sharing it.

My son almost became a firefighter.  It would have been awkward if I were at odds with him.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.015 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 535.68 KiB (Peak: 536.3 KiB) ]