#1 2023-01-12 13:13:18

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website
MacintoshSafari 16.2

Cars in Europe must now warn drivers when they go too fast

Cars in Europe are now required to notify drivers when they're speeding.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/navi … 72485.html

Great idea.  It'll never happen here.

#2 2023-01-12 15:30:42

dougmc
Administrator
LinuxChrome 108.0

Re: Cars in Europe must now warn drivers when they go too fast

The aftermarket Garmin GPS -- cost me under $100 -- I have in my car will tell me if I'm exceeding the speed limit it has on file for the road I'm on.

And by "tell me" I mean the speed display will change from black to red, so it's only noticeable if I look.  And while the maps are usually accurate, it's not 100%.

Reading the article, it sounds like this system works similarly, but has a better way of actually notifying the driver.

And from what I've heard, 18 wheelers and similar vehicles often have dashcams that go way beyond the dashcams that most people use.  In particular, they don't just record the images, but they also analyze them -- they read speed limit signs, they notice stop signs, they detect if the driver is tailgating somebody and such, and they notify the driver when they aren't following the rules and record the incident for the owning company to review, possibly even notifying them in real-time if the cam has cellular connectivity.

Ultimately, the technology is out there, and you can buy it now.

But I'm with you on them mandating it -- I won't say never, but they're not anywhere near mandating it now.  (But the trucking companies will be at the forefront of this, because this sort of thing saves them big money.)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.012 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 529.57 KiB (Peak: 530.2 KiB) ]