You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-02 11:19:15

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Coronavirus vs. traffic deaths

So far, the risk of dying from coronavirus in the U.S. pales to the risk of getting killed by a car.

Number of deaths from coronavirus per day, since Feb. 29 (first fatality): 2 (6 deaths in 3 days)

Number of deaths from traffic collisions per day:  93

Coronavirus might indeed turn into an epidemic that kills hundreds per day, but we're certainly not there yet.

#2 2020-03-29 19:23:40

dougmc
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus vs. traffic deaths

Looks like COVID-19 is killing more people in the US than cars are now.  That said, given how much it's reduced driving (I wonder what the percentage is?), I wonder how many lives are being saved due to that?

November 7th, 2000 was the last day that nobody died on Texas roads -- the average lately has been ten per day.  It's a long shot, but maybe COVID-19 will be what allows us to end this streak?  (Kind of a morbid thing to think about ...)

Also, while car traffic is way down, bicycle traffic seems to be up.  Previously, the city of Austin was saying that around 2% of trips were done by bicycle ... I wonder what the current figure is?

#3 2020-04-01 06:35:15

MichaelBluejay
Webmaster
Website

Re: Coronavirus vs. traffic deaths

I just came here to post the same thing, not knowing that you'd already posted.  As of 3/30/20, 99.6 COVID-19 deaths per day.  I also wondered how much traffic deaths are going down due to reduced driving.  Incidentally, the reduction in pollution from the world economy scaling back has been visible from space for quite some time now.  Is this nature taking care of itself?

Board footer