#1 2008-06-03 12:10:15

damicoaustin
Website

Ben Wear and Bikes

Ever notice that Ben Wear doesn't have a "Bicycle" link in his Blog, along with the other eight categories.
See: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ … index.html

Could it be because he never covers bike issues? I think Feb. 27 was the last time bikes were mentioned.

#2 2008-06-04 15:29:00

chuckthomas

Re: Ben Wear and Bikes

Rob,  Ben Wear does cover bicycle issues.  He wrote a story in January about my bicycle commute on the toll roads.  I was pleased with the story and felt it was fair and balanced.  He would probably be open to adding a bicycle commuting section if we presented it to him.  Since I've worked with him, I can pitch the idea.  What kind of changes would you suggest?  -chuck-

#3 2008-06-05 10:06:19

damicoaustin
Website

Just a link for his blog entries related to bicycling....which are scant. I know he covers stuff, but not enough. Then again, be careful what you ask for.

#4 2008-06-05 19:35:25

AYL

I would like to see Ben write a bit more about bicycling issues, too. I also believe we should cut the guy some slack since he covers transportation issues statewide and with the state of gas prices and infrastructure he's got a full schedule. Plus, I respect a man who's willing to come out publicly and own up to his mistakes (see his posts regarding the proposed CAMPO TIP bicycle improvements).

#5 2008-06-05 20:22:12

chuckthomas

I sent an email to Ben about our conversation and asked him to add the category.  He's working on it.  Let's keep an eye out for it and remind him if it doesn't show up soon.  If anyone has a suggestion for a blog entry to start the new category, please post it and I'll get the good ones to Ben.  -chuck-

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: Chuck T
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:50:43 PM
Subject: Re: please add a bicycle category to shortcuts blog - Chuck Thomas toll road cyclist

thanks for defending me chuck. But it is true I've written comparatively little about bike issues.

I just tried to add a bicycles category on Shortcuts. But it hasn't shown up on the site. And I think that's because I actually have to write a blog entry and slap that category on it. Since I don' t have a blog entry to do that with currently I think the site may be ignoring the category. I'll try to rectify that as soon as I can by actually writing in the blog on a bike issue.

Ben

On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Chuck T wrote:

Ben,  A user at a Bicycle Austin forum accused you of not covering bike issues.  I immediately responded telling them about your story of my bicycle commute down the toll roads and how fair I felt that it was (exchange below)

Would you please add a bicycle category to the categories list on the left of the page at your Shortcuts blog site.  This is always a hot topic that draws posts and is particulary relevant in this world of $4+ a gallon gas.

By the way.  Bicycle Austin is a group of transportation cyclists in Austin.  Here is a link to the forum:

http://bicycleaustin.info/forum  you are welcome to visit and sign up to stay abreast of bicycle transportation issues.  It recently outgrew the email distribution list that we were using and went to forum

Thanks,

Chuck Thomas

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.014 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 536.8 KiB (Peak: 537.42 KiB) ]