You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-11 12:10:04

moebevo

Round Rock commute to downtown Austin. Route ideas please!

I have ridden once from 5th and Red River to my home in Round Rock, as an experiment, and enjoyed it.  I kinda just picked my way, making it up as I went along. So, I am now going to do it once a week, and was wondering if there was a route that anyone would recommend. I work 10am to 7 pm most times...so I'd need to probably leave the house no later than 8:00am. I can ride my road bike or my MTB...if anyone has any short cutting ideas, etc. I would love to hear them.
Thanks!
Brad

#2 2019-05-13 09:22:48

RedFalcon

Re: Round Rock commute to downtown Austin. Route ideas please!

I live at Parmer / Mopac and commute to La Frontera. Not sure which side of Round Rock you are on, and I35 is a huge barrier, but if you can get to La Frontera, you can get to Metric/Lamplight or Metric/Lamplight easily enough.  From there you can make your way down Parkfield.

From Lamplight Village / Parmer going north, follow this:
1. North on Lamplight Village across Scofield Ridge. LV will bend right and put you at a T intersection at Campesina. Turn left, which brings you to a cul-de-sac, but there is a gap between houses on the left.  Go through that gap ( I call these kinds of routes - wormholes). Turn right and run north along the fence line until you see a paved road to your left.  Take that to the intersection with Avenue N.
2. Now you are in Kings Village.  Keep going north on Pansy Trail and turn left onto Daisy Drive and go up the hill. (Avoid Gardenia Drive unless you like being chased by pitbulls)  After you climb the hill you will pass a Tree trimming business. Just on the west side there is another wormhole trail that leads to the intersection of Howard Lane and Thomas Sinclair Blvd. Take Thomas Sinclair north.  (All of this keeps you off Howard Lane)
3. Thomas Sinclair T intersections with Wells Branch Drive.  In the morning, going north, I ride Wells Branch west to Single Trace > Merriltown > Bratton.
4. Take Bratton Lane north to Sauls.  Turn left on Sauls and take the first right on Crissom. Turn left on Grand Avenue.

Next, you can either turn right on Pearson and back up to Bratton (avoiding the deadman curves), or stay on Grand Avenue to Quick Hill Road.  Take a right on Quick Hill which turns in to CR 172 after it crosses 1325.  you could turn right here onto 1325 and head straight into La Frontera, but if traffic is heavy, just stay on CR 172.  Once I pass the 45 overpass I take the sidewalk a short way to the top of that hill and my office is close to that.  Or, you could stay on CR 172 into RR.  The section of CR 172 I ride between 1325 and 45 has a shoulder for half of it. 

You could also take Wells Port from Sauls to make your way to Thermal/Metric.  If you use the Wells Branch trail system, there is a tunnel under WB just west of Thermal, and a trail system you can take to avoid Thermal.

There are lots of variations, but the main thing is that you do NOT need to ride on 1325.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RedFalcon (2019-05-14 07:39:56)

#3 2019-05-14 07:42:37

RedFalcon

Re: Round Rock commute to downtown Austin. Route ideas please!

The North Austin Ride of Silence follows parts of the route I was describing.  Join us at 6:455pm at Bratton Square on Wednesday 5/15 and you can ride a lot of it.

Board footer